Ch85 issue - attn Ezra

jack616

Jack616 : Your problem is not the same as the one above, This is a problem with CH85 RT and is due to the red button IPTV service that is on CH85

Hi Ezra - I thought a new thread better if it is a different issue to the other one:
Could you explain the issue to me as this is becoming a serious problem - the box I reported as now working
fine is today crashing every 60 seconds but again only on ch85 -

Clearly part of the RT payload includes attempted IPTV activity that crashes the Humax. This used to happen with any IPTV service (eg Vision etc). What firmware version are you using? - the latest updates solved the crashing issue for most MHEG.

What do you want Russia Today for anyway? Delete the service.

The level of propaganda on RT in the wake of the events in the Crimea is jaw-dropping. I do find the Keiser Report entertaining though.

Yes the problem is the Humax can't handle channels that supply their content over the internet, (currently channels 225 to 240), the older firmware would not display these channels and also caused the Humax to crash, new firmware versions still don't display the IPTV channels, but don't crash the Humax. Although CH 85 does not supply it's content over the internet, it does use IPTV for the red button feature. If you are currently running firmware version 1.02.xx I would suggest upgrading to either 1.03.06, 1.03.11 or 1.03.12, if you are already running one of these versions, I don't think it is possible to avoid the crashing, so you will have to stop tuning into CH85 altogether

Actually I'm thinking of dropping the BBC and just retaining RT. At least you do get news and intelligent conversation AND pictures of whats happening there.
Have to agree about Max. I found the channel by accident and was hooked on the Keiser instantly.
Anyway...
Crashing happens with 1.03.12 and 1.03.11 on both old and new style tuner boxes

The old style box with 1.02.32 does not crash.
I intend to stay with this firmware because it works - there is no reason for me to change it.
I will be changing the 1.03.11 box to 1.02.32 also by the looks of things.

The new firmware effectively takes RT off air.
Imagine the political capitol they could make of that if they find out.
Frankly I'm not at all happy myself.

Does not crash for me on 03.12.

I'm sure you could have worked it out, but as a last resort to stop it crashing, you can disconnect it from the internet.

Have you asked humax if they are aware there may be a problem?
Or have you asked RT if they are aware as they control their own mheg feed.

I don't doubt for a second that some people will not have seen the issue chris.
The issue is not related to the internet in any way.
None of the boxes are or have been connected to the internet at any time
except the one that doesnt crash now with CF on (my old box). The rest are factory pristine.
It is most likely the firmware however one more test on one box should confirm that.
Right now I'm trying to get to the bottom of the problem without causing too many waves.
Humax have been very helpful over a significant period of time.
Interestingly however - starting this morning the mux that Ch85 is on is behaving
strangely in terms of signal quality - but power is quite stable-
But that could be the weather or it could be an indication of a poor quality
transmitter being highlighted by the weather (its bad round here ATT)
Unfortunately there is no real public connection/feedback to the people actually
broadcasting Freeview to simply ask if there are issues. The only indications
ever obtainable are public relations excercises.
I dont want to contact RT - Rightly or wrongly this sort of thing
could have political implications at the moment and that could damage Humax.

If they are not connected, it's not the same iptv issue we have seen previously.

The low signal quality or just low signal in General could cause a crash as I have experienced this before myself.

If your crashes were happening when the signal was fine and internet disconnected though, then that points it back to being a Humax/RT issue. However, nobody else has reported the same issue as yet..

If they are not connected, it's not the same iptv issue we have seen previously.
The low signal quality or just low signal in General could cause a crash as I have experienced this before myself.
If your crashes were happening when the signal was fine and internet disconnected though, then that points it back to being a Humax/RT issue. However, nobody else has reported the same issue as yet..

Thanks chris
OK If there needs to be a network connection for that fault then that isnt what I have here. (Unless a simple net configuration of the box without actual connection caused that issue? Was that ruled out?)
Anyway
If low signal or low quality can cause a crash that is a serious design fault. Doubly so in a device that uses a permanently active writing hard drive.
Thinking back I'd never even heard of one of these boxes "crashing" until the 1.3.x family firmware was released.
Mine certainly hadn't which is why I didnt like it in the first place.

The fact that no one else is reporting it here is disturbing - not because it makes it a local issue - if it was I could fix it - but because:
1. It has been seen on 5 different boxes.
2. I can put 1.3.xx firmware on my currently running 1.2.32 box and it causes the issue every time
(edit: Just for total clarity : When I put 1.2.32 back on that box it stops happening)
3. The fault was hard on the other 4 boxes and the new one I have now
4. All I have to do to cause it is switch to ch85 in every case and wait 2 minutes
5. My 1.2.32 box is on the same aerial sharing a splitter (swapping sockets makes no difference)
6. removing the splitter and having a single connection doesnt cure it.
7. The signal on that mux now seems permanently rubbish but the above comments are still accurate.
8. And because of the specific channel causing it on every single occasion

If you can suggest something I missed please do. I've wasted a lot of time
on this.

The fact that no one else is reporting it here is disturbing
How many people watch RT to have potentially hit this problem? Not me, that's for sure. That's what I was getting at in post 9. Maybe this is why 1.03.12 was withdrawn.

How many people watch RT to have potentially hit this problem? Not me, that's for sure. That's what I was getting at in post 9. Maybe this is why 1.03.12 was withdrawn.

Just for the record I've had this on 1.03.06 1.03.12 and the new box I have now came with 1.03.11 on it.
You are right about the low take up of ch85 however if it does this people only have to select the channel and their box potentially starts corrupting
their hard drive within minutes - less than the time it takes to make a coffee. And they probably wouldnt notice corruption for quite some time.
When my other box had this over the air it was resetting every 60 seconds for 6 hours before I saw it. I did get the drive working again but I had
to take it out of the box and repartition it to do so.
Right now I seem to be the only person reporting it - but given the number of boxes I've seen this on I'm certain others must be susceptable.

Perhaps it is related to my local transmitter somehow - I'm on sutton here but I've just discovered there are are network
of relays dotted about. If so god only knows how I'd track that down to sort it.

Back