change port of webif from 80 to 8080?

how can I access the humax box while outside my local network, 83.x.x.x:80 gets me to the router login screen but I thought after I changed my humax webif to port 8080 it would show up on 83.x.x.x:8080? but it doesnt work, I can only access it on 192.168.0.2:8080

I dont have the router password because its a shared one so how can I do it without setting up port forwarding?

thanks

You can't. That's what port forwarding is for (or use the DMZ).
You need to think seriously about the security of doing this though.

OK I will get the owner to set port forwarding and set a more secure password, I wanna stream videos to my android while im out.

thanks

You'll need to get him to forward port 9000 too (that's used for the streaming)

I think af123 is suggesting that 9000 should be added to the list rather than replacing a port number on the list e.g.

Code:
listening_ports 80,443s,8080,9000

Port 9000 is used by the DLNA server so that port should not be added to the list of ports in mongoose.conf. It should be added to the list of forwarded ports which are setup in the router config if you wish to access content externally. Note that there are security implications in doing this, it may be better to tunnel the port under ssh.

Port 9000 is used by the DLNA server so that port should not be added to the list of ports in mongoose.conf. It should be added to the list of forwarded ports which are setup in the router config if you wish to access content externally. Note that there are security implications in doing this, it may be better to tunnel the port under ssh.

thanks, how do I use tunnel under ssh to stream over the internet not on the local network. I installed DLNA, Skifta and setup port forwarding but I cannot figure out how to stream over the internet, it only streams on lan. what app would I need on my android and what is the most secure way of doing it?

OK I will get the owner to set port forwarding and set a more secure password, I wanna stream videos to my android while im out.

thanks
Are you sure your broadband connection has fast enough upload bandwith for this? If it is ADSL based it is unlikely to be more that 1mbps, ours is about 3-600k despite about 4mbps download (that's what the 'A' in 'ADSL' means). I guess it might work if you have cable but probably not for HD even then.

That's not to say it isn't worth doing, I did this just for the browsing and configuring convenience for a while though I now just use the 3rd party service.

my adsl has 20mb down and 2mb up but I dont think I will bother streaming while im out of range of the local network, it sounds like too much hassle, I can access the webif which will be fine to keep an eye on recordings. :)

Are you sure your broadband connection has fast enough upload bandwith for this? If it is ADSL based it is unlikely to be more that 1mbps, ours is about 3-600k despite about 4mbps download (that's what the 'A' in 'ADSL' means). I guess it might work if you have cable but probably not for HD even then.

That's not to say it isn't worth doing, I did this just for the browsing and configuring convenience for a while though I now just use the 3rd party service.

Even my cable has assymetric speeds.

Back