Changing times

RobH1

Going through some paperwork, I came across our broadband set up bill when we moved in 2006. Tiscali guaranteed up to 2Mb (40x faster than dial up) @ £14.95pm plus line rental @ £8.95pm. Today we get 16Mb and line rental for £17pm. Competition is wonderful ain't it?

On a similar note, EEPhil mentioned his old TV. Our first TV, purchased in 1974 after five years of marriage was a 14" Panasonic Quintrix and cost £240! Five years ago we bought a Panasonic 40" smart TV for less than £400.
In real terms, stuff is cheaper today.

Last edited:
I started using online computing in 1973 using an acoustic coupler (a little box that a telephone handset fitted into) with an effective connection speed of 80b/s i.e. 10 characters per second. Compute time was charged per minute connected AND per CPU second used. It was still a step forward from using a mainframe with punched card input and typically 24 hour job turn round time. I think I have gone through the full range of connection speeds (110b/s, 300b/s, 1200/75b/s, 9600b/s, 28.8kb/s, 56kb/s, 64kb/s (ISDN) and then into era of broadband.

I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing 'Hallelujah.'

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

Back