Channel 55 - permanent ?

peterworks

Ye Olde Bowler
I was led to believe that channel 55 was temporary because of the mobile phone frequency changes. However looking at this:
TV Reception - Final.jpg
it seems that it may be permanent.
The reason I ask is that I have an indoor aerial. Reception is perfect except for channel 55 and, if it is permanent, I will get the aerial moved to outside. I would only want it for BBC Four HD and BBC New HD so it's no big deal at the moment.

I'm sure you will get a variety of answers to your question, but I think it is fair to say that Ch55 is not regarded as permanent and a lifetime of 2 years has been quoted

The licence current for COM7 HD was only issued recently and that licence includes being able to withdraw the licence at short notice.

You interpretation of the mention of "2025" is different from mine.
My interpretation may not be correct but compare your interpretation with what was being displayed on that page a few weeks ago. for COM8 HD. It also had 2025 on the same row as COM8 HD.

Long edit:
This is the link to the licence for COM7 HD. https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0034/197197/Mux-E-interim-licence-20200617.pdf
In addition to the ability to terminate at short notice this licence also has a longstop date of 30th June 2022.

Factors that could cause a termination at a different date continue but vary.

E.g. With the current Huawei considerations, termination due to the bandwidth rights being called on by a mobile operator would push the date back. Also there hasn't even been an action for those rights yet.

E.g. Due to the current finance sitation the risk that Aqiva may not find operating COM7 HD as financially viable increases.

Last edited:
My interpretation may not be correct but compare your interpretation with what was being displayed on that page a few weeks ago. for COM8 HD. It also had 2025 on the same row as COM8 HD.
I agree with you. I saw the same thing (for COM8) a few days before COM8 vanished. The "Final prediction" and 2025 for COM7 should be taken with a very large pinch of salt.

Back