channels 5001 to 5915

sohlinux

Hello,

On my Humax I have channel 101 to 999 but if I view the channel editor using webif it shows hundreds of other channels numbered 5001 to 5915 but they are not accessible.
Why are the 5x channels shown and how can I remove them?
Thanks

The 5xxx channels are channels that you (or perhaps a previous owner of the box) would have tuned at some point after putting the box into non-Freesat mode. They would be accessible if you put the box back into non-Freesat mode. Alternatively you can use the channel editor to mark them as Freesat channels and then they would be available when the box is in Freesat mode. As to how to delete them all I'm not sure as I don't use non-Freesat mode myself I'm afraid.

The 5xxx channels are channels that you (or perhaps a previous owner of the box) would have tuned at some point after putting the box into non-Freesat mode. They would be accessible if you put the box back into non-Freesat mode. Alternatively you can use the channel editor to mark them as Freesat channels and then they would be available when the box is in Freesat mode. As to how to delete them all I'm not sure as I don't use non-Freesat mode myself I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info.

I view the channel editor using webif it shows hundreds of other channels numbered 5001 to 5915
I see the same thing. Some of these go back to the 2012 Olympics which are clearly useless.
As to how to delete them all I'm not sure as I don't use non-Freesat mode myself I'm afraid.
I find that surprising, seeing as you wrote the channels utility!
The key would seem to be to produce a ..._update.fcl file, but I've completely failed to do it.
I assumed channels readall (and similar for readfs and readnonfs) might do something useful, but it just whines about needing an input file, even though /dev/mtd6 is listed as the default. So I gave it same as input, and it did something judging by the delay, but no output even though /tmp/mtd6 is listed as the default for -c. So I gave it a name using -c and still nothing. It's not entirely clear how useful this is - presumably it's done something, but what? Has it written to a database?
OK, I managed to get -x and -t to produce some output, but they are not a lot of use when all you want is a filtered version of the input file.
I don't know whether -d is used only for writing to the database (with what command?) or whether it's used for reading from it either (with update command).
Is the .fcl file format documented anywhere?

I find that surprising, seeing as you wrote the channels utility!
There's a difference between tuning a handful of non-Freesat channels 10+ years ago for the sole purpose of developing and debugging the Channel Editor (and associated channels utility), and actively using non-Freesat channels on a day-to-day basis. I can honestly say that I have never watched a non-Freesat channel via my Foxsat box.

The channels utility was not designed to perform wholesale deletions (or insertions) of channels. It's purpose is to add/remove the changes specified by the user on the WebIf Channel Editor page, the details of which are stored in a SQLLite database. The reason for this is that the state of /dev/mtd6 must be returned to "how Freesat set it" in order for certain activities that are performed in the nightly housekeeping to work reliably e.g. changes to transponders, LCNs etc. So when the box boots at 3am, the channels utility is called to undo any changes and put /dev/mtd6 back to it's "standard state". Housekeeping then runs and the machine shuts down. On the first boot after housekeeping, the channels utility is invoked again to re-apply all the changes that the user specified.

Is the .fcl file format documented anywhere?
The short answer is no, it's not. I have a pretty good memory of how it all works, but I would need to dig into the channels utility source code to refresh myself of the details.

As to how to delete them all I'm not sure as I don't use non-Freesat mode myself I'm afraid.
When I said this, I was talking about via the Humax GUI rather than via any other means.

Back