Channels 55 and 56

danco

So I have just had a new aerial fitted (see the Pixellation thread) and am having a problem with Channels 55 and 56 on my Humax (which has the customised firmware, in case that's relevant). It's a touch weird.

The aerial has the normarl connection, aerial to Humax to TV. The TV has no problems receiving the stations broadcast on those channels (BBC4 HD, Al Jazeera HD, and several others).

The Humac seems to be variable. I can do an automatic search, and save the result. Channels 55 and 56 show up. I can see stations on those channels being added in the search, I can see them in the channel list, and Signal Detection (in Settings, System, Signal Detection) shows them with good strength and quality., and I can view stations on the channel

Then I try a while later, and find the stations are missing, and the channels are not shown under Signal Detection (and neither are channels 32 and 34, but the other channels are the same in both cases). Going back to the TV shows the stations are being received. Restarting an automatic search brings them back, but they go again.

I'm assuming it's not the aerial, as if it were then I would expect the TV would not get those channels either. Am I wrong about this, should I ask the aerial people to look at their setup again? What could be wrong with the Humax (or what error on my part) ?

Do you have tunefix installed? If so, you need to check its configuration - which may be set to remove previously unwanted channels and services on boot. There is no native mechanism that would do what you describe, unless the HDR-FOX is well and truly bust.

I may have pointed this out elesewhere.
I've had problems tuning into either UHF 55 or 56. Off the top of my bald head I can't remember which one is in use here. Although signal/quality are good no channels are found. After about 3 goes and praying to the god of Humax, it tunes in properly. However, I am finding that changing from a channel on a "normal" multiplex to channel on the SFN multiplex does throw up a message telling you about no signal for quite a while before the Humax finds it. I wonder if this is connected to the problem described here.

I do have Tunefix installed, but on checking the settings I can see no reason why this should cause the problem. Specifically, neither the Remove by name nor the Remove by number are set to remove any of the HD channels.

I suspect EEPhil is right, whatever the reason is.

My guess is you don't understand the fine print that goes with tunefix. To prove one way or the other: uninstall tunefix and then perform your retune, and see if the 'problem' disappears. My money says it will.

I'll certainly try that. But I've checked the tunefix.conf file and it has no reference to MUX, so that should not be the issue.

On the other hand, I found I had a really old version of tunefix, (1.5.2, I think) and perhaps that was deleted the muxes by itself. I've updated the package now.

How many other packages are "really old versions"? Switch on auto update on the CF. You will then always have the latest issue of the package.

Done both. Will report later. I noticed one thing with my version of tunefix, not sure it iwas default or something I did. Could not find BBC News, but could find BBC News HD. Turned out that News is on 231, and tunefix had the 200-299excluded.

On the other hand, I found I had a really old version of tunefix, (1.5.2, I think) and perhaps that was deleted the muxes by itself. I've updated the package now.
tunefix 1.6.7 released to cope with the new "Com78 National" network.
If you had a preferred region set (which you would have), then when you retuned, the old version would delete everything on COM7 and COM8 because it saw it as a different region.
This is the problem with not keeping things up to date.
There is no further need to prove it as BH suggests.
Turned out that News is on 231, and tunefix had the 200-299excluded.
I suggest you delete that bit of config. as it refers to stuff as it was prior to Freeview Retune day. This is the problem with not keeping things up to date.
I suspect EEPhil is right, whatever the reason is.
I'm afraid not.

Unfortunately the OP didn't mention services were disappearing only after a reboot, so I had to guess that detail. Had he simply uninstalled tunefix straight away he would have had a definitive "tunefix or not tunefix" answer instead of buggering around chasing red herrings. This is key to fault-finding: chase one idea at a time, and do simple things that eliminate entire branches of enquiry first.

Having deleted tunefix things do now look ok. I'm wondering if there is any point in reinstalling tunefix and tunefix update. If there isn't going to be any need for more retuning (Crystal Palace transmitter) will they do anything useful.

tunefix automatically implements your preferences with regard to unwanted services and service renumbering - such as removing the data services that would crash the HDR-FOX if selected, shopping channels etc (if you don't want them), and relocating the HiDef services to the main LCNs 1,2,3... instead of 101,102,103... Without tunefix, you have to do all that manually after each retune. With tunefix, a reboot (or two) sorts it out for you according to your predefined configuration.

auto-schedule-restore does the same for your recording schedule and favourites, which are otherwise erased by a retune. On reboot, if auto-schedule-restore finds an empty schedule (typically the consequence of an auto-retune), it reasserts the latest WebIF backup (auto daily, or manual) and adjusts it for the new tuning regime.

tunefix-update automatically applies the little adjustments that are frequently made to the services in the background, at boot, to avoid having to do a retune at all.

If you believe your transmitter channels will never be tweaked, services will never be shuffled, and your HDR-FOX will never suffer a "restore factory defaults" (deliberate, accidental, or as a random event), then you don't need the above.

I'm afraid not.
:roflmao: Wouldn't be the first time! Perhaps it isn't connected to what is described in this thread. However, what I pointed out does happen on a 2000T - so there is some problem. Don't know why (possibly SFNs?), but at the moment it's manageable - just.

Yes, it was the tunefix issue. Deleting the old version and then installing the current version has solved the problem.

I notice that channels 32 and 34 showed up when tunefix was not installed but are missing with tunefix installed. I am guessing that these two come from the Kent region (which shows up as an alternative to London when tunefix is not installed), but I did not manage to confirm this guess.

Is the current tunefix.conf correct? When I installed tunefix, the setting showed as removing the 200s numbers. There are some significant stations in the lower part of that range (231 BBC News, and children's programs at 201 on). Not a problem for me, as I simply edited the file. But (unless an old tunefix.conf file persisted through my uninstalls and installs of tunefix) it is currently wrong and ought to be changed for anyone coming new to tunefix.

If you have editted a config file it is usually not deleted when a package is deleted or overwritten when a package is updated - this is to prevent you losing your personal choices when a package is updated. Of course there are times when you will miss changes to the default. configuration

Ah, I had thought that was possible. How do I get rid of it and replace it with the current file? Though I suppose that isn't really necessary, as what I have is working ok.

The default configuration is supposed to be adjusted to your requirements. It doesn't matter how you arrive at your personal requirements.

Understood. But I would still like to know how to get the default configuration back. After all, you people who know much more than I do may have chosen some settings I would like if I knew about them.

Does "Revert" produce the default? I would guess it does, but don't like to make decisions just based on guesses.

I would try renaming the config file, reinstall the package to get a fresh config and compare the two

Back