Choppy streaming between two boxes

aaandrews

Hello good people,

Wondered if anyone might be able to help ...

I have 2 HDR-Fox T2 boxes both with custom firmware installed. I'd like to be able to watch the content of one box on the other box. Content share is enabled and both boxes can see each other and the content on each. The content will even play so all good so far but it is so choppy that it is unwatchable (both boxes are the same).

Both have wired connections and the local network runs just fine (so I don't think it's a speed issue). Is there anything obvious I might be missing in terms of configuration or diagnostics I could run to see where the issue may be?

Strangely I can stream the content just fine through the TVs themselves (via the network sharing function) but just not through the humaxes directly.

Thanks in advance!

The content will even play so all good so far but it is so choppy that it is unwatchable (both boxes are the same).
Regardless of what you say about your network, this strikes me as a network problem.

Do you have the custom firmware installed?
I have 2 HDR-Fox T2 boxes both with custom firmware installed.

Standard content sharing is not very satisfactory; using custom content sharing results in all playback functions working just as if it were a local recording (trick play, bookmarking, resume point...). However, that requires decrypted recordings or both units to be programmed to the same decryption key (and if you did that you would lose access to prior recordings unless they were decrypted first...).

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/network-shares-automount-package-released.1126/

However, if native sharing glitches, I don't expect custom sharing to fare any better. Is it StDef that glitch or just HiDef?

Hello,

Thanks for the responses.

Yes cfw installed on both boxes and problem affects both standard def and hidef recordings so I don't think it's a decryption issue.

Agree it does seem like a local network issue but not sure where to go with that as connection per se seems fine (both are running off power line adaptors and a speed check from the adaptors checks out to what you'd expect).

The fact that they can both see each other and play the content doesn't suggest it's a configuration issue either with the boxes (i.e. DNS problems) so I'm a bit stumped!

Hmmmm.....

Both have wired connections...
both are running off power line adaptors
HomePlug is not the same as wired!! That's your problem. I also get stuttery playback via HomePlugs (particularly if the communicating pair are not on the same ring circuit - ie the same fuse in your consumer unit), but not usually with StDef.

Speed tests do not use real traffic. Jury-rig a real network, and I'll put money on the problem going away.

problem affects both standard def and hidef recordings so I don't think it's a decryption issue.
How do you conclude that? StDef is encrypted just the same as HiDef, and you haven't given any details of your decryption regime. That you say StDef is also affected disproves any connection with auto-unprotect (your original assertion). auto-unprotect does not decrypt! (How many times have I had to say that?!)

However, regardless, the problem is your HomePlugs. End of.

Last edited:
Thanks Blackhole! :hug:

I do have some extra long Ethernet cables so will test without the homeplug but I've definitely had them working on these homeplugs before.

Hmmmmm I didn't realise standard def programs are encrypted too. I just assumed that if it plays (choppy or not) that it was decrypting. I'd better give myself a refresher on decryption! :RTFM:

DLNA decrypts on the fly, as long as the served content is not flagged as protected or the client is HDCP compliant (ie another Humax PVR). Please see Things Every... (click) section 5, and follow links to further reading.

It is the norm for CF users to decrypt automatically, by routine.

I've definitely had them working on these homeplugs before.
Then the HomePlugs have degraded, or your electrical environment had changed. You might also benefit from updating their firmware.

Back