Chrome version 30.0.1599.101 'locking up'

Wallace

Traveler 34122
Since Chrome updated to v30.0.1599.101, I seem to get frequent web page 'lock-ups'. I click a link, and that's it, nothing happens. The mouse cursor moves, Windows itself is not inhibited in any way, but any further mouse clicks within the Chrome page, doesn't do anything. I can, however, open a new tab within Chrome and carry on as normal, until the next 'lock up' that is.

I have disabled my extensions but the problem still happens.

It hasn't happened before this latest update, so I wondered if anyone else has experienced it?

Since Chrome updated to v30.0.1599.101, I seem to get frequent web page 'lock-ups'. I click a link, and that's it, nothing happens. The mouse cursor moves, Windows itself is not inhibited in any way, but any further mouse clicks within the Chrome page, doesn't do anything. I can, however, open a new tab within Chrome and carry on as normal, until the next 'lock up' that is.

I have disabled my extensions but the problem still happens.

It hasn't happened before this latest update, so I wondered if anyone else has experienced it?

Not seeing that here, Wallace.:confused:

I think I might have found the culprit. You take yourself through the mental process thinking 'what has changed recently?' Nothing, I thought, then suddenly remembered that I have updated my ESET Antivirus from v6.x to v7.0
After checking its config, nothing had changed as I was aware of (I installed the new version over the old anyway). I thought I would disable 'Web Protection' and the Chrome issue appears to have gone away.
ESET must have changed something 'under the hood' as it is a feature that was enabled in v6.x and didn't cause me any problems.

I will check further, not really sure of the value of the Web Protection option is anyway. I have MalwareBytes Pro and AdMuncher installed and that seems to me to be a powerful combination that has served me very well for a few years now.

I might restore my system from a recent Acronis TrueImage backup (with ESET v6.x on), and completely remove ESET then do a clean install of ESET v7.0.

I am getting some slow redraw problems on this version. I never had this before. Scrolling down one of these forum thread pages causes the bottom of the screen to go grey chequer board before it gets drawn. It's like being transported back to the eighties all over again.

Edit: Wallace, could our problems be related?

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=2105

I don't really want to move temporarily to another browser, such as Firefox, since Chrome has synchronization between devices so well implemented. My bookmarks are all synchronized between laptop, phone and tablet, and I can see what tabs I last had open on another device, too.

Just disabled Hardware Acceleration and the scrolling slow redraw glitch disappeared, to be replaced by a slow scrolling glitch.

I don't think the problems are related.

My problem started after I had updated my AV software, it's just I didn't put 2+2 together at the time. I have since disabled Web protection in the AV program and the issue with Chrome has stopped.

On a side note, I wish that the WebIf would display properly on iOS7. It really is annoying me.

:)

I wasn't taking a swipe at the WebIf, more iOS7!

To be honest, I have got used to the new iOS now, apart from the mentioned issue. It does look like a seven year old designed the UI. On second thoughts, a seven year old could have done a better job.

Refer to last Friday evening's "The Now Show" on Radio 4 (repeated Saturday lunchtime). It should be available on iPlayer until Friday.

Sent using iOS5

Pretty much everything about iOS7 is annoying me : )

Don't you mean iOS7.0.2? (The one that doesn't allow anyone to view everything on your phone and make long distance phone calls from it, even though it is "locked?" :p)

Pretty much everything about iOS7 is annoying me : )
I have given up using Safari in iOS7 to access the webif. Moving away from the front page causes the various sections not to display properly. Works perfectly in Chrome for iOS.

Yes, that is my issue. However, I got the same display problem when I used Mercury Browser accessing the WebIf in iOS7.x

I have tried it in Mercury and can reproduced the same effects by trying to go back to the front page using the header bar.

Back