Chromebook samba share

JimD

I am trying to set up a samba share in the Chromebook Files App to my HDR-FOX T2 which has the latest Samba package installed.
The following is requested:

File share URL
Display name (optional)
Username (optional)
Password (optional)

For the URL I entered "smb://192.168.1.11/share" based on the instruction "Supported formats are \\server\share and smb://server/share"

I got the following message:
"Error mounting share. Please check that the file server that you are connecting to supports SMBv2 or later"

Any suggestions? Should I have entered a password?

Custom firmware version: 3.11 (build 3735)
Humax Version: 1.03.12 (kernel HDR_CFW_3.11)

I got the following message:
"Error mounting share. Please check that the file server that you are connecting to supports SMBv2 or later"
As tonybonner has suggested; that is your problem. The Humax Custom Firmware uses SMBv1 and the experts consider it would be difficult to implement later SMB versions on the Humax.

What is the actual name that you are using for '/share'? I hope it's a share name not the word 'share'.

I did use share☹️.
What should it be?
Given the other replies, I suspect nothing will work.

I did use share☹.
What should it be?
"My Video"

The space causes lots of unnecessary grief. You may need quotes round the whole thing, or you may not, depending on context.

I suggested a mod. making it "MyVideo" instead a while back, but nobody seemed interested. I modded my systems to use it regardless though.
Spaces in share names are just "stupid" (tm). I don't much like CamelCase either, as it makes things hard to type.

Thanks for your help but neither forms of My Video worked
"MyVideo" (without the space) wouldn't work unless you made adaptations at the Humax end so that the mount point got named "MyVideo".

For the URL I entered "smb://192.168.1.11/share" based on the instruction "Supported formats are \\server\share and smb://server/share"
In the instruction "Supported formats are \\server\share and smb://server/share", "server" and "share" are place holders for the correct strings. You are supposed to substitute the appropriate information, not simply copy the placeholder.

Am I correct in assuming the Chromebook uses a version of Linux? If that is case, you should have more success using NFS protocol instead of SMB. That means installing the package nfs-utils on the Humax instead of samba. However, you need to gen up much more on network configuration before you sally forth - go through some tutorials on the web, looking specifically for "NFS client configuration".

You do realise accessing recordings this way will require they have been decrypted, don't you? And you will need a media player able to handle TS(M2TS).

I have installed VLC for Android and plays the TS files with no problems (VLC for Chrome OS did not provide local network access).
The samba mount seemed cleaner but is not really necessary.
Thanks to everyone who replied

The samba mount seemed cleaner but is not really necessary.
What does that mean? If I had to guess, I would say you are using the UPnP access from VLC (DLNA) instead of a network file share access (SMB or NFS). That being the case, no you don't need samba for that (nor decrypted recordings).

Flexible would have been a better word than cleaner. With VLC I am limited to playing recordings. I did use Samba on my Windows PC and use Foxlink on my HD.

With VLC I am limited to playing recordings.
What else do you want to do? If you are trying to get general access to the Humax as networked storage:
you should have more success using NFS protocol instead of SMB. That means installing the package nfs-utils on the Humax instead of samba.
Then you will get your flexibility without the hassles of SMB1 v. SMB2 protocol compatibility. Foxlink uses NFS.

Back