Clipped Recordings when watching live

Reynic

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone has experienced clipped recordings when watching the recorded programme live. What seems to happen is:-

1. While I intend to watch a programme live I also want to record it for another member of the family to watch later;
2. I set up recording which duely starts.
3. Perhaps 5 or 10 minutes later I start to watch the recording from the start even though it is still recording the same programme. Alternatively, I sometimes 'Pause' the programme being recorded instead and simply start it again by pressing 'Play' again while the same programme is being recorded
4.Everything seems to work well until the scheduled end of the programme. While I maybe watching the recorded programme with a 5 or 10 minute delay the picture switches over to 'Live' TV and when I run the recorded version of the programme I was watching it too ends with an incomplete recording.
5. I have tried variations with Padding, Actual Recording, etc but to no avail

Any thoughts would be very welcome!!

It's not normal for the box to clip the recording if you watch the programme as well. What is normal is that if you use live pause on a programme you are recording and have not caught up to real time when the programme ends, the timeshift buffer is flushed so you lose the end. It should still be there on the recording though. Chasing playback (playing back the recording while it's still being recorded from the media list) shouldn't create any problems. TIP If you get close to real time use the forward skip key, this stops working if the end of the buffer is less than the setting (default + 2mins) and crashing back to the live broadcast.

I record everything and often use chasing playback (especially ITV as the skip keys let you skip the ads in a few seconds)

It's not normal for the box to clip the recording if you watch the programme as well. What is normal is that if you use live pause on a programme you are recording and have not caught up to real time when the programme ends, the timeshift buffer is flushed so you lose the end. It should still be there on the recording though. Chasing playback (playing back the recording while it's still being recorded from the media list) shouldn't create any problems. TIP If you get close to real time use the forward skip key, this stops working if the end of the buffer is less than the setting (default + 2mins) and crashing back to the live broadcast.

Hi Grahamlthompson - Many thanks for getting back so quickly. Iunderstand exactly what you are saying about the timeshift buffer being flushed, etc. The frustrating thing is that when I then retrieve the recorded version of the programme being watched the end is still missing! The two must be linked in some way? The upshot of this is that I don't watch a programme in timeshift while it is being recorded - too many 'who-dunnit' movies with no ending i'm afraid has taught me this! Thanks again for your time.

Hi Grahamlthompson - Many thanks for getting back so quickly. Iunderstand exactly what you are saying about the timeshift buffer being flushed, etc. The frustrating thing is that when I then retrieve the recorded version of the programme being watched the end is still missing! The two must be linked in some way? The upshot of this is that I don't watch a programme in timeshift while it is being recorded - too many 'who-dunnit' movies with no ending i'm afraid has taught me this! Thanks again for your time.

I assure you that the two are not related. If using AR the broadcaster controls the start and stop of recordings, if you use padding the scheduled times adjusted by the padding settings are used. I must have made thousands of recordings and watched live at the same time, not one has ever had the problem you describe.

Do you have two cables installed and a fully functioning 2 cable box or only a single cable ? If the latter you must connect the loop cable as shown in the manual.

Hi, experiencing exactly the same issue with the Humax Foxsat. Any channel, any programme, if watching live (and recording) clips the end of the recording, so you have to go back to the recording and fwd to the clip point.
Also many recordings finishing early regardless of playing with the extra time-length settings. Factory reset worth a go?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

Hi, experiencing exactly the same issue with the Humax Foxsat. Any channel, any programme, if watching live (and recording) clips the end of the recording, so you have to go back to the recording and fwd to the clip point.
Also many recordings finishing early regardless of playing with the extra time-length settings. Factory reset worth a go?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks

The time shift buffer file is flushed when you are using time shift on a programme you are also recording when it finishes. Use chasing playback, pick up the recording 30 seconds or so after recording starts. Use the forward skip key when near the end of the currently recorded content to avoid jumping back to live content. It's a good idea to start watching ITV recordings about 15 mins after they start, that way you can use the skip keys to jump over the ads and you will finish viewing about the same time as the programmes finishes. The standard +2mins -5seconds is pretty close to ideal. Most ads are about 4 mins so 2 presses of forward skip. If you overshoot one or 2 - 5seconds will get you back.

When playing a recording entering a time code will jump instantly to any point you want eg 0025 is 25 minutes

Setting padding turns off Accurate Recording so the broadcaster can't adjust the start and end recording times to cater for deviations from the scheduled time. For the main channels you will get the best results with AR enabled. Menu/settings/Recording Start and End Times set to Auto.

When setting a recording from the epg use the OK button not the record button. The Record button generates a manual recording.

Display the epg by pressing the remote schedule button followed by the red button. Avoids the delay generated by downloading a new epg after pressing guide.
To jump to the channel you want tap in the channel number. eg 108 will jump to the BBC1-HD epg line.

Back