Clock change Sunday 29/3 - Help! Urgent!

Surely as long as the schedule shows the correct start and end times, with or without some sort of padding (manual or otherwise), AND the box has come on to adjust to the clock change they should record ok?
I set a couple of test recordings yesterday your way and the answer is definitely "Yes".
I had a slight panic on your behalf as the recordings were misnamed, but the actual programme recorded where what was listed in the schedule timer list.

Hello all. Plans changed so I can see what happened on the boxes.
Yes, thanks Trev, it is only telly you are right and I'll err on the side of that being a non-sarcy comment!
I never used auto-padding as I seem to recall that when I got my first 9200 in 'the early days' the firmware was still quite glitchy/quirky/full of special features etc and when auto-padding was added it had some issues so I ended up not trusting and simply added some time on manually. Okay it sometimes isn't foolproof but it generally works well enough and I've stuck to that habit. Why change if it works? I don't mind missing a minute or two at the start and end of most programmes but I hate missing the start of some things, films and radio broadcasts especially. Missing an hour because the firmware isn't clever enough to adjust for the clock change is a tad more annoying especially if I'm then away for a week and everything is an hour out!
Anyway, my plans changed and I was home to see what happened.

Auto-padding turned off on one 2000T and on a second 2000T I turned padding on with 5 minutes on the start and end times.
All recordings for the first 7 days were set via the guide, most left untouched (no manual adjustment). I manually adjusted some on the non-padding box to add some minutes before and after but left all scheduled recordings on the padding box as they were in the guide.
Any recordings after 7 days, i.e. where the guide is empty, were set by manually adding a reservation with some start and end minutes added (which I guess would be unnecessary on the padding box now).

So the recording schedule was showing the times for all recordings as they should be, i.e. as they would be seen in the guide for that day, the News at 6, for example, would be showing as starting at 6 o'clock not an hour out to allow for the clock change. The fear was that the boxes would adjust manually set timers after the clock change by an hour and thus mess them up - so had I set the News at 6 it would be showing as 19:00 (or 17:00?!? but not 18:00!) in the schedule after the clock change.

I set test recordings for 00:30 to 02:05 to force the boxes to be doing something and I also set a reminder for a programme that was on at 01:30 to 02:00 (I guess setting a reminder for something fromsay 00:45 to 01:15 might have been better). That should have brought the boxes out of standby and thus allow them to automatically change the clock. A bit belt and braces I suppose.

Anyway... all recordings appear ok. Auto-padding seems to have worked ok on that box and my manual padding worked ok on the other box.

I suppose the key to it all is to make sure the box comes out of standby, leave it on or set a reminder (not sure if just setting a recording around 01:00, or 02:00 when the clocks go back, would bring it out of standby?), a few minutes before the clock change so that it will adjust correctly. I watched the time adjust at 01:00 on one box and it changed to 02:00 within about ten seconds of the clock striking 01:00 (so that box was already out of standby of course to let me see the change). The other box was left in standby so the recording and/or reminder must have allowed it to adjust the time correctly.
I imagine what others say has to be correct, without the box coming out of standby none of the recording would be correct, they would all be an hour out? I can't recall if a scheduled recording does actually wake the box up if it is in standby and would therefore have allowed the clock to auto-adjust. I'm sure plenty of others know the answer to that one. Maybe setting a reminder is the only way to force it out of standby.

Apologies for the ramble which is probably unclear too. Am rushing about but wanted to report my findings if only to remind myself in six months! Hope it helps someone.

MANY thanks for all the help!
Stu

Luke - Thank you! I had the same wobble with the wrong names showing in the schedule but the correct times!

I had the same wobble with the wrong names showing in the schedule but the correct times!
Setting a manual timer just picks up the name of the programme listed in the EPG at the time you've set the recording to start. You can't expect it to do anything else.

simply added some time on manually
...which immediately destroys all of the modern sophistication of tracking EPG changes and late-running programmes, split links and series links, and is no better than the timer on a VCR. Basically throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Setting a manual timer just picks up the name of the programme listed in the EPG at the time you've set the recording to start. You can't expect it to do anything else.
This is something different to that.
The programme names both my test recordings picked up are for programmes which had yet to start broadcasting when the recordings ended.
One of my test recordings was for "Counting the Cost" which was broadcast at 4:30 to 5:00. The file name given to it was "UpFront" which was broadcast exactly 1 hour later, i.e. almost half an hour after the recording completed.

True. The interesting one on the 2000T is that if you set a programme via the EPG and then manually adjust the times you get the wrong programme name. I seem to remember the old 9150T kept the original programme name if you did this. I've just done a test on a 5000T and this also preserves the name. An uncorrected oddity on the 2000T then.

I seem to remember the old 9150T kept the original programme name if you did this.
Yes it did do that. It gave the appearance that behind the scenes it was still keeping a note of the programme event ID associated with the scheduled event and used that to decide the recording name and also to populate the associated info details in one of the recording's side car files.
On the 9000 series if you totally edited the schedule timer, including the channel number, the epg would still show the original recording you selected from the epg as 'going to record'.

But what has happened is that for these events where the setting and the recording straddles the clock change, the HDR-2000T names the recording from the programme that will be being broadcast in an hours time instead of what is currently being recorded.

Back