COM7 keeps disappearing

philbean

Seeing as I've started a right can of worms with LG TV owners :) .. I thought I'd try and solve my other, long running, problem too.

The Hummy keeps losing COM7 channels.
Not breaking up a bit. Losing. Completely.

One day I'll have good signal strength COM7 (75%+) and everything will be fine. No breakups.. nothing.
Then the next day, signal will have disappeared completely. I just get the black 'no signal' screen. These periods of 'off' and 'on' can last weeks or sometimes just a few days.
If I retune during an 'off' period then I lose the channels completely.. until I retune again when the signal is back.

I've tried aerial amplifiers.. new RF cable.. different HDMI cables... rerouting all the cables. No joy.
I had put it down to something in the vicinity giving out interference and I had to live with it.

Until I got my new TV.
The old TV doesn't have FreeviewHD so the only way I could get HD channels was through the Hummy.
The new TV has FreeviewHD obviously. And I discovered this...

During a 'no COM7' period, if I had the aerial passing through the Hummy... then the TV cannot pickup COM7 either.
But... if I plugged the aerial straight into the TV, bypassing the Hummy... COM7 returned at full strength.

No problems at all with COM8

Stumped.
Any ideas???

I've tried aerial amplifiers.. new RF cable.. different HDMI cables... rerouting all the cables.
Are the HDMI cable(s) well screened; it sounds like an interference problem to me but not sure why it would affect the HDR but not the TV.

If the aerial signal is passing through the Humax, there may well still be HDMI activity regardless of whether the TV is "looking at" the HDMI input. Bypassing the Humax automatically implies there is no signal to the Humax and therefore little to no activity on the HDMI.

Hmm.. I've tried 3 HDMI cables so far. Latest is supposed to be a well screened decent one. Hasn't made any difference.

And if it was just HDMI interference.. wouldn't I lose signal all the time?
I can get weeks of near perfect signal.. then suddenly.. gone.

Baffling.

During a 'no COM7' period, if I had the aerial passing through the Hummy... then the TV cannot pickup COM7 either.
But... if I plugged the aerial straight into the TV, bypassing the Hummy... COM7 returned at full strength.
Have you tried an aerial spitter? This will pretty much separate the Hummy from the TV aerial wise.
What happens if you leave the Hummy in the aerial path as you normally have it, but switch the Hummy to standby and completely disconnect the HDMI cable from the Hummy and TV so you still have the Hummy in the aerial loop, but otherwise not connected to the TV? Is the TV com7 signal missing then?
'Grasping' and 'straws' spring to mind.

I'm back on my old TV now which cannot receive COM7 so an aerial bypass won't work.
I can try the analogue connection idea though. Just to confirm its a HDMI thing.

Of course an aerial bypass (splitter) will work to provide a TV signal to both the TV and the Hummy.
Do you connect the Hummy to your 'old' TV via HDMI?

Does it matter that the 'old' TV can't get Com7 as you said it was the Hummy (and the new TV) that lost Com7 when the 'new' TV's aerial is connected via the Hummy.
And a good tip is not to re-tune when you loose signals, otherwise you will "lose the channels completely", as you have found, and then have quite a lot of difficulty in fault finding on a missing (non tuned) MPx.
Does the Hummy lose Com7 when the 'old' TV is connected via the Hummy?

Sorry I think I'm confusing issues by having 2 TVs involved in this.

My current (OLD) TV is 9 years old and cannot receive FreeviewHD at all through its tuner. So a splitter is of no use. The only way I can view HD channels is from the Hummy.

The only reason I discovered that the Hummy box is causing this issue is that I got a new TV which does receive FreeviewHD.. and I discovered that when the Hummy is in a COM7 blackout period.. by connecting the aerial directly to the TV, COM7 is perfectly fine on the TV tuner. A splitter would be a solution (except I wouldn't be able to record things on COM7 on the Hummy).
However the new TV has gone back to Amazon now faulty.. so I'm back to square 1 with the (OLD) TV.

I realise that. It doesn't explain the signal going from good to non-existant to good again etc etc
If it was just a weak signal then it would be consistantly weak. Breakups and pixelation etc.

It also wouldn't explain, when I had the new TV, and I was getting no signal on the Hummy yet a good signal with the aerial plugged straight into the TV

I'm just saying that with COM7 everything is right on the edge of working and that the difference in signal strength between 'good and non-existant' can be very small, the new TV's tuner only needs a marginally better SNR to work

So where are you and what transmitter do you receive from? Are you on Hannington?
If so, you might be in luck around the middle of April next year.

I'm just saying that with COM7 everything is right on the edge of working
That's a very sweeping statement, and one that is, by-and-large, wrong. My COM7 certainly isn't on the edge of working. I doubt the OP's is either when it shows signal strength of 75% when it's working. That's more than I get on all my muxes.

I realise that. It doesn't explain the signal going from good to non-existant to good again etc etc
If it was just a weak signal then it would be consistantly weak. Breakups and pixelation etc.

It also wouldn't explain, when I had the new TV, and I was getting no signal on the Hummy yet a good signal with the aerial plugged straight into the TV

Com 7 and 8 share a limited number of frequencies so are much more susceptible to co-channel interference. Not aware of any other issues other than geographic location with a HDR-FOX-T2 but the 1800/2000T boxes do appear to have other issues though.

That's a very sweeping statement, and one that is, by-and-large, wrong. My COM7 certainly isn't on the edge of working.
I wasn't talking about your COM7, I was talking about COM7 generally, do you really think with differencies of 200kWatts down to 6kWatts for COM7 that it isn't going harder to get a useable signal. A lot of users who can easily receive the main MUXs are going to have difficulty receiving COM7

Back