Come Dancing

@trog, Just in case you missed this article I posted elsewhere.
Cheers, similar opinion but the polar opposite reason to mine. I am fast approaching my mid sixties and I still choose to tune to Radio 1 rather than Radio 2, I know its also awful but I want to hear something new and at least you get a few diamonds in the rough, I have no interest in hearing top 40 songs from any era that I have heard a thousand times before, if its retro I want it to be tunes that even in their day had little air play. My ideal would be to have a station that only played B sides, album tracks and live sessions from the sixties right up to now and certainly never the housewife's choice.

Alas, John Peel and Brian Matthew are no longer with us and nobody to take up the mantle.

Alas, John Peel and Brian Matthew are no longer with us and nobody to take up the mantle.
Very true :(. Even if John Peel was a nonce his contribution to opening the ears of the world to non generic music has to be applauded,

I was talking about Round Midnight, do you mean something else?
SOTS. I remember him on RM, and especially the instrumental version used for the opening theme, but never really listened to the programme. I was too young and it was too late.

Possible off the already off-topic.
Didn't Radio 2 used to have comedy programmes at 10pm? News Huddlines (Roy Hudd) and Stop the World (Francis Matthews, c 1983) come to mind. There must have been others.

The News Huddlines:
Recorded in front of a studio audience on Thursday lunchtime, and broadcast at 6.30pm the same day. According to :https://archive.org/details/thenewshuddlines19790606s07e00/The+News+Huddlines+-+1976-03-01+[2015-09-27]+[b06dl4wz].m4a
That doesn’t sound right. Found this at a BBC page https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/af2eb415ea7b46bbac12a33b12a796bd
Suggests the programme was on at 22:02 after the news headlines.

Edit: Further searches gave quite a few hits for 10pm and also for 7pm. I remember 10pm not 7pm and definitely not 6:30.
Although I use archive.org a lot, it's accuracy is variable. As the late Queen allegedly said, "recollections may vary".

Last edited:
I found a few cuttings from the Radio Times which shows other programmes in the 10pm R2 slot."The Law Game" (Shaw Taylor) "Pop Score" (Pete Murray), "Get the Most Out of Your Body" (Dr Rob Buckman), "Punch Line", "Keep It MacLean" (Don MacLean) and the previously mentioned Huddlines and Stop the World. Some appear to have been broadcast at 5pm Sunday then repeated at 10pm another day. There is one broadcast at 12:30pm on an unknown day repeated at "Fri 10.0pm". This was 1981.
Strange, I could have sworn that the Sunday 5pm slot was "Cheerful" Charlie Chester's Sunday Soapbox. Well it was in the 70s when we were out and about in a car at the weekends. Perhaps that was 6pm.

Back