Compatible HDD - Hitachi 0A39418 (works for me)

John Williamson

Hello all, new member here.

Thanks to all responsible for such a great resource.

FWIW, thought I’d give an update on my success with the above HDD (full details below) when connected to the HD-Fox T2 box. Link here if it’s allowed:

(Me edit: New member restriction - So just web search that Hitachi number on cnet for specs)

My Hummy experience so far:

Bought an HDR and HD for my in-laws to replace a broken TVonics box. I bought the HD so I could play with firmware upgrades before committing to same on the HDR. What a great experience that has been due to the resources available here.

Got both boxes upgraded and diagnostics showed that the HDR unit I bought had been given an easy life and was showing 95% available in most stats. Got all the relevant packages installed for foxlink and again that works great. In laws are now set up with the HDR and very happy. Got to go back and cable in the HD at some point. So massive thumbs up to whoever is responsible here for all that. Who are you? Stand up and be thanked (I will donate btw in short order).

As a result of the above success I decided to get another HD box and see if I can utilise the TVonics' old HDD in that (it was only 3 years old with relatively sedate usage). Which so far has proven to be successful. No recording done so I’ll report back after a period of use to give an update but so far the webif and package downloads have gone well. A minor note is that smart stats for the disk don’t seem to be available but I can look to see if I can get those off another platform.

WRT the TVonics Hitachi drive. I connected it to the HD using a StarTech USB caddy (I’ll be getting a fan caddy in due course) and was ext3 so after a format to ext2 worked fine. Should I be concerned about the lack of smart stats access?

Also on the subject of compatible USB devices, I successfully connected a Kingston Flash DTSE9 G2 USB3.0 device (16GB), so it’s highly likely the 128GB device would work too.

That’s all for now,
Cheers

John

(Me edit: New member restriction - So just web search that Hitachi number on cnet for specs)
Just put in the link replacing dots and slashes with spaces, and a moderator can adjust it for you (or you can come back and change it yourself when you lose "new member" status).

HI connected it to the HD using a StarTech USB caddy (I’ll be getting a fan caddy in due course) and was ext3 so after a format to ext2 worked fine.
What? Why would you reformat a Ext3 HDD as Ext2? The reason to do that is for solid state, not spinny disks. See Things Every... (click) section 12.

Who are you? Stand up and be thanked
raydon kicked the whole thing off, but af123 is the main man responsible for carrying the baton and pulling it all together, as well as the huge effort implementing and modifying code in response to ideas and comments from the rest of us (although not entirely on his own). He has also provided the complete Remote Scheduling web resource. This forum was originally owned and operated by Michael Eaton, but af123 took it on when Michael wanted out. In short, although there have been significant contributions from a wide variety of members from this community, it is what it is because of a huge input of time and effort, entirely voluntarily, by af123.

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/happy-birthday-to-the-customised-firmware.1487/
https://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Timeline

Last edited:
Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply.

Re. re-format from Ext3:
The HD wouldn't recognise the disk as suitable (as reported by maint mode).
So I formatted to Ext2 and then all was well.

Any hints on getting it working with Ext3?

John

Back