Concern over potental 'new Humax official firmware'.

Yes, given time the OTA event will reappear in the schedule. It seems to take a day or two.

Yes, given time the OTA event will reappear in the schedule. It seems to take a day or two.
Thanks. I will leave for a few days to see that happen. No wake up in the schedule for Sunday.
I think it is a good idea and will eventually reinstall.

Oh yes, I'll be installing it once there are no obvious side-effects. I want to know what Humax are installing before they install it!

I'm pretty sure we can turn off the OTAs - I just haven't felt the need to put any time into it yet.

I don't think they can easily stop us customising the new version unless they choose to update the bootloader and change the compression/encryption algorithms.

Updating the bootloader probably carries too much risk for them to do it OTA, but you never know! I think they have done it once for the HD.

I think you will find it was the System ID that was changed not the bootloader. As you say a transmission glitch could easily brick the unit.

If the bootloader is remotely updateable then I don't see it's any more risky than replacing the main code,You download it to a 'tmp' area run some CRC checks on it and flip it with the original code, Keeping both copies so you can always fall back to the original if the new code fails

Firmware 1.02.20

This firmware upgrade for the Humax HD-FOX T2 is scheduled to be broadcast from 10:00 on Wednesday 29th February 2012 until 09:00 on Friday 2nd March 2012.

Firmware 1.02.20

This firmware upgrade for the Humax HD-FOX T2 is scheduled to be broadcast from 10:00 on Wednesday 29th February 2012 until 09:00 on Friday 2nd March 2012.
That is simply a repeat broadcast of the current firmware, and will not affect anything.

The 04:30 maintenance boot when it creates thumbnails, locks recordings which have a guidance rating (if configured) and looks for an OTA.

Does that mean killing the OTA check will also stop those other housekeeping tasks?? :eek:

Yes, I think so.

Perhaps users with disable-ota (beta) can report back - any ill-effects? I think the only one which matters in that list is the thumbnail generation, but I have to say I think these do not only get generated during the OTA power-up.

I think the only one which matters in that list is the thumbnail generation, but I have to say I think these do not only get generated during the OTA power-up.
I'm fairly sure that thumbnails are generated in a normal reboot cycle, or even waking from standby.

Edit: Powering up from standby does generate thumbnails

It seems to me the disable-ota package would be the right place to add disable-scheduled-retune functionality.

Back