Connect to Smart TV

Dot

I've got an old Humax 9150t with recordings on that I want to watch but I can't connect it to my new Philips smart TV as there are no scart sockets. Please can anybody help (in very non tech terms please!). Ta

Should have bought a TV with a SCART. Does the TV have any kind of non-HDMI input at all, eg phono inputs? If so, you can buy an adapter cable SCART to composite video + stereo audio. If not, you will have to find an analogue video to HDMI converter box.

Alternatively, with a bit of technical expertise I believe it is possible to rescue the recordings off the 9150's hard drive by connecting the drive to a PC using a USB adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dot
I'm not sure what all the 'thingies' are on the TV! In the handbook, as well as the HDMI and USB ports it shows 2 connections for video - one shows Y/Pb/Pr, L/R and the other shows CVBS, L/R - both show leads with sets of little coloured pins on the end. Is that helpful? Ta

"CVBS L/R" is what you want - that stands for composite video + left and right audio, and the sockets should be yellow for video, white for left audio and red for right audio. You will be able to get a cable with a SCART plug on one end and yellow, white, and red phono plugs on the other - guess what you do with them!

Reactions: Dot
Something like THIS
Other suppliers are available and possibly cheaper.
But not Currys/PCWorld. They will likely cost £50 for an all singing gold plated oxygen free with a fantastic placebo effect so that you can almost justify being ripped off for a lead.

"CVBS L/R" is what you want - that stands for composite video + left and right audio, and the sockets should be yellow for video, white for left audio and red for right audio. You will be able to get a cable with a SCART plug on one end and yellow, white, and red phono plugs on the other - guess what you do with them!
Haha I think even I might know the answer to that! Many thanks, I've ordered one from the link that Trev sent.

Something like
But not Currys/PCWorld. They will likely cost £50 for an all singing gold plated oxygen free with a fantastic placebo effect so that you can almost justify being ripped off for a lead.
Cheers - ordered! thank you so much.

Is the SCART switch on the SCART itself, and how do I select the correct TV input? Well I did warn you....!

Is the SCART switch on the SCART itself,
See picture of the cable you ordered.

and how do I select the correct TV input? Well I did warn you....!
It's a button on the remote control handset, often marked "INPUT". You may be used to TV sets auto-switching to the SCART input when there is a signal present, but I don't think that will happen with your AV input. I'm sure it is all explained in the manual.

See picture of the cable you ordered.

It's a button on the remote control handset, often marked "INPUT". You may be used to TV sets auto-switching to the SCART input when there is a signal present, but I don't think that will happen with your AV input. I'm sure it is all explained in the manual.
Yeay up and running! Thanks so much for your help 🙂

Something like
Thank you so much for your help - all done! 👍

Back