Connecting Foxsat-HDR to PC via ethernet

Pip4946

I'm a newbie and not much of a technie and would appreciate some [clear!] guidance on connecting my Humax box to my PC.

I have been successful in copying recordings to my PC via the USB port, using a 8Gb flash drive and now left with a number of recordings >4GB.

I've tried to follow the discussions about the Customised Software and this is where I've get lost! The software on my Humax is 1.00.21, updated 27 July 2012 and is the latest version. The forum discussions refer to versions 1.02.xx and then I'd realise that this related to the Freeview box, which I now presume is the T2 version of the Humax. Am I right?

I've connected the Humax to my network and the Menu-Settings bit shows the network address, etc but of course my PC network map doesn't show the Humax, 'cos I'd need to download and install the Custom software.

What I need to know is:
1. So I still need to upgrade the Humax software to a later version than 1.00.21?
2. What version of the Customised software do I need to download?
3. Presumably, all I need to do is to copy this download onto the USB flashdrive, which has successfully been accepted by the Humax, insert the USB drive and then power up the Humax from the switch at the back.
4. I then presume that my PC will 'see' the Humax on the network and then I can transfer files from the Humax to my PC and I can then edit, reformat, etc. the recordings in much the same way that I have form the >4GB files. (I edit out the adverts and play back using XBMC)

Or is this too simple!

Hope somebody can put me on the right track!

Philip

I've tried to follow the discussions about the Customised Software and this is where I've get lost! The software on my Humax is 1.00.21, updated 27 July 2012 and is the latest version. The forum discussions refer to versions 1.02.xx and then I'd realise that this related to the Freeview box, which I now presume is the T2 version of the Humax. Am I right?

Yes, you have been reading about the HDR-FOX T2 (FreeviewHD+ recorder) and HD-FOX T2 (FreeviewHD+ receiver with recording capability).

From the HD/HDR-FOX Custom Firmware Quick Start Guide:
Custom Software - What Is It?

The Custom Software provides a web browser interface to your Humax HD-FOX T2 or HDR-FOX T2, accessed via your home network and the HD/HDR-FOX Ethernet port...

There is a forum sub-section specifically for FOXSAT-HDR custom firmware, see HERE (click)*, but the FOXSAT custom firmware is mainly supported on avforums.com.

* Update: this topic has since been moved to the sub-forum.

See here.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-4-a.html

V21 is the latest and in fact if you had earlier the CF will upgrade it anyway.

The procedure basically is copy the .hdf file to a usb stick and put it in the usb port with the box in sby. Turn on the TV and select the Foxsat input. Hold down the front power button until you see the updating message. Reboot the box, and note the IP address from diagnostics. Open your web browser and type in the IP address to complete the install. Install the packages you want. You will need Mongoose to access the drive in Windows Explorer and/or a ftp server (a ftp programme is needed on your PC).

Just a quicky before I go to bed... Have just downloaded Raydon's software. Noted that this is a .rar file. How do I unpack it and is the readme file is in the .rar?

Just found out that it's a zipped file , which I have unzipped with WinZip, and yes, the readme file is included.

Now off to bed and to try this tomorrow! :byebye:

Well, up bright and early...copies the .hdf file to flash drive, installed, set up web interface ...and...success! Weyhay! I can see the files on my web browser (Firefox) using the IP address for the Humax.

Now, I can 'download' the files from the web browser to my download files (takes quite long to do these), but I cannot 'see' the Humax files in Windows Explorer. Should I be able to do this? Do I need another piece of software and how do I get this.I also don't see the Humax on my home network map...

I think that I've got Mongoose already running as I get a list of files in the Humax. I can get the Web interface, but don't see the Package Management screen.

Please forgive me for asking such basic questions but as I've said, I'm not a techie! Just want straightforward instructions!!!!;)

Well, up bright and early...copies the .hdf file to flash drive, installed, set up web interface ...and...success! Weyhay! I can see the files on my web browser (Firefox) using the IP address for the Humax.

Now, I can 'download' the files from the web browser to my download files (takes quite long to do these), but I cannot 'see' the Humax files in Windows Explorer. Should I be able to do this? Do I need another piece of software and how do I get this.I also don't see the Humax on my home network map...

I think that I've got Mongoose already running as I get a list of files in the Humax. I can get the Web interface, but don't see the Package Management screen.

Please forgive me for asking such basic questions but as I've said, I'm not a techie! Just want straightforward instructions!!!!;)

Assuming you have Mongoose running you need to map the Foxsat hard disc as a network drive in windows.

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000472.htm

The real experts and the writers of the actual software are to be found on AV forums. This forum is by far the best resource for the equivalent software for the Freeview-HD boxes.

Package Management should have been installed during the second stage where you logged into the Foxsat using it's IP address.

basicv.jpg

If your web interface look like this then you need to download and install the full interface. It's as difficult as clicking on the button. Just first make sure your internet connection to the HDR is active by running BBC iPlayer. If that works then you're good to go.

Back