Connecting HDR-1000S box to Broadband - help!

Alfie008

Hello,
I hope someone on this forum can provide some advice in helping me set up my new Humax Freesat+ HD with Freetime (HDR-1000S 500GB) - hopefully i've posted this in the right section!

Please could someone kindly advise the best and most reasonably priced way to connect the Freesat box to the broadband? The router and new Freesat box won't be in the same room so i guess Ethernet cables are out of the question?
I gather from the "quick start guide" that either a wifi dongle or Homeplug adapters are required, which is the best method of connection please, and is any particular make/model required?

Sorry to ask so many "noob" questions! Am not the most tech-savvy person but would like to enjoy subscription free tv with the ability to record, etc. Many thanks.

The best way to connect is via a LAN cable, it can be up to about 100 metres but how easy it will be to install is only known by you. If a LAN cable is impracticable, the wifi dongle is the cheaper of the remaining options and it doesn't have to be a 'Humax' dongle although it does have to be of a certain type, the non-Humax dongles can be as little as £5 e.g. This One (recommended for the HDR Fox T2). Homeplugs are about £20 - £30 per pair and any type should do the job

Last edited:
Hi, thanks very much - really appreciate your advice. I have found a Humax WLAN wifi 11n 150mbps dongle online, would that do? (An error message has just appeared via these forums to say i can't post links to prevent spam, fair enough).
I thought it would be a simple case of switching one from the other, "plug and play" like it says on the box but clearly not due to lacking certain equipment, oops!

I don't own a HDR-1000S but as far as I know it doesn't have built-in WiFi so 'switching' to WiFi will require the purchase of a USB dongle. Humax units require a dongle with Ralink 3070 chipset, THIS ONE has a comment saying it works on the HDR-1000S and actuality has Humax written on it, however it is £24 and as I say cheaper 3070 models definitely work with the HRD-Fox T2. If you want to post a link you can use something like "thisplace<at>thatdomain<dot>com"

I don't own a HDR-1000S but as far as I know it doesn't have built-in WiFi so 'switching' to WiFi will require the purchase of a USB dongle. Humax units require a dongle with Ralink 3070 chipset, THIS ONE has a comment saying it works on the HDR-1000S and actuality has Humax written on it, however it is £24 and as I say cheaper 3070 models definitely work with the HRD-Fox T2. If you want to post a link you can use something like "thisplace<at>thatdomain<dot>com"

You are correct, Black HDR1000S no WiFi, White HDR101oS has built in WiFi. Does the usb dongle linked to in your post really work with a HDR FOX T2 ?

Thanks Ezra & Graham, I didn't know that - i thought they all had had wifi built in these days, maybe not. Sorry :( £170 was my upper limit so didn't see the HDR1010S model. Previously I had the standard Humax Foxsat HD box so this is a bit of an upgrade for me! I can't comment on the type of box HDR FOX T2 as i've a different machine, judging by the comments it looks like it works on the HDR1000S.

Does the usb dongle linked to in your post really work with a HDR FOX T2 ?
I don't own the dongle detailed in the #4 link, but there is a comment by "lisbeth on 4 Sept. 2013" that says it worked on two different HDR-Fox T2's and another comment by " Sarah on 20 Mar. 2014" saying it works on the Humax HDR-2000T. Also the product description for it says "The Humax USB Wi-Fi Dongle allows you to connect to your Humax HDR-Fox T2 or HDR-1000s to your home network wirelessly."

Back