Connecting Humax to Router via wifi and wifi extender

I have a Humax - HDR and it does not have WiFi capability only an Ethernet socket.
I take it that you must have a WiFi dongle?

I have a Humax - HDR and it does not have WiFi capability only an Ethernet socket.
Assuming that the Humax that you have is a FOXSAT then a WiFi dongle will not work (particular types of WiFi dongle do work in the HD Freeview boxes). You would need a WiFi bridge or perhaps easier a pair of Homeplug adapters to carry the network traffic over the mains wiring.

They have Wi-Fi extenders. The last link in the chain from the Wi-Fi extender to the HDR must be by network cable.
(I was too slow.)

(Written as a general article, eventually to take its place in Things Every...)

If you want to connect your Humax HDR-FOX, HD-FOX, HDR-2000T, HDR-1800T to your home network there are various ways of going about it, either by WiFi or by Ethernet. Foxsat-HDR and Foxsat-HD are restricted in that the use of a USB dongle for WiFi is not supported in their software, so a means to connect via the Ethernet port is required (this can include WiFi).

Wired

Direct cable connection to your router is by far the best method of networking, because it cannot suffer interference and does not create interference or sap bandwidth from your WiFi network (or neighbours WiFi networks). However, it must be acknowledged that the provision of a physical cable connection is not always a practical proposition.

An alternative is HomePlugs (AKA powerline networking). These adapt your home network onto the house mains circuit, and set up a sub-network on it. One HomePlug is fitted near your router and is connected to a router port. Then any other HomePlugs connected on the same ring main circuit (most likely your whole house) provide Ethernet ports which are in communication with the router via the ring main. HomePlugs are available in various speed ratings, but that represents the best you can expect under ideal circumstances. Normally the connection will be much slower. It makes sense to fit the best - known as AV500 - and all of the same type from the same maker (so you know who to complain to if it doesn't work). HomePlugs are available with multiple Ethernet ports (eg for the smart TV and a smart STB in the same place) and with pass-through mains sockets (so as not to tie up a power socket - they are best not connected to multi-way adapters or extension leads otherwise the data rate may slow to a crawl or drop out completely).

One word of caution regarding HomePlugs: they are capable of connecting to a neighbour's HomePlug network, or a neighbour could connect to your network, unless you change the security code from the default setting.

WiFi

The "standard" method is to acquire a USB WiFi dongle (not applicable to Foxsat). Humax sell one, and by buying from Humax you have a legitimate complaint if it doesn't work. There have been reports of Humax-provided dongles not working with 1800T/2000T. There are much cheaper dongles available with the identical internals to the Humax dongle, and have proved adequate. If reception is a problem with the dongle fitted directly to the USB port, interposing a short USB extender cable has proved helpful in some cases. Some dongles have external adjustable aerials. Further information:
http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/FAQs#Which_WiFi_Dongle.3F
http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/hdr-fox-t2-wireless-dongle.127/

An alternative to using a USB dongle is to use an external device which bridges to your WiFi network and provides an Ethernet connection to the Humax Ethernet port. A device which I have personally used in a number of scenarios of this nature is the TP-Link TP-WR702N (there are many alternatives). It requires configuring by connecting directly to something with a web browser (eg your PC) and it needs power (could be supplied by a vacant USB port or from the supplied wall socket adapter), but it takes the WiFi connection process away from the vagaries of the Humax user interface (which imposes limitations on what your WiFi password can be). The WR702N preserves its configuration when the power is off, so once configured it is essentially "fit and forget".

Configuring IP Address

See Configuring IP Address (click).

HTH

Last edited:
You missed the bit about humax's unintelligent interpretation of what counts as a pass phrase.

I've been using a Netgear wifi dongle and Netgear wireless router with my Foxsat for ages. A short Ethernet cable from the HDR to the dongle, and power to the dongle, and it worked like a charm first time without too much fuss. The only thing nobody else has yet mentioned is the security on your wireless router. You will be able to see the HDR instantly in the router's home page if you connect it to the router with an ethernet cable (a wired connection is automatically secure, including via Homeplug), but if you quite sensibly have your router set to only accept known devices over wifi, it will be invisible until you tell the router otherwise - it's like when you have visitors and have to allow them specific access to your wifi, although you might just use WPS for that. Try pressing the WPS button on the router while the dongle is connected and switched on, or if there's no WPS try opening your router in your browser and switching off the wifi security temporarily. You ought then to see the MAC address of the dongle or HDR (I can't recall which shows up) which you can then input as a permitted connection. Switch the security back on and you should still see the new device over wifi. It should work automatically without messing with the HDR's settings - mine did. Good luck.

Back