Connecting T2 to a 5.1 surround sound system

John7

We have a HDR-FOX T2 and are going to replace the TV and also get a 5.1 surround sound system. The one I am looking at manual says to context things like the T2 with a HDMI to it and the video is passed to the TV. The T2 manual says to context a HDMI to TV and SPDIF (optical cable?) to audio. The TV we are getting has Audio Return Channel so can play sound via the external amplifier.
Now in common with much else with this I am very confused as I notice here sound from HD can’t be controlled if using optical. Would I be right in thinking the best thing is to just connect via a HDMI lead and use the diverted sound output from the TV to the amplifier?

It is safer to connect an HDMI cable from the Humax to the TV directly, because there have been some problems with HDMI Via an AMP to the TV. the SPDIF optical audio cable then can then be connected to the DD5.1 AMP. This also has the advantage that the AMP. does not need to be on for stereo only TV content

I have struggled through the manual pdf again and it looks as if my proposed amp and TV will link together. Through somthing called "Q-Link and VIERA Link". It says if the amp is on it uses that “The sound of TV speakers is mute”. If off it uses the TV sound. “When the equipment is turned off, TV speakers will be active”
It also says sound levels are control by the TV remote (much better than the only outer Home Cinema system I have used with yet another remote to control volume )
If I am right than I take it all I need is an HDMI to the TV?

I have my HDMI connected from the hummy to the Tv, and my surround/DVD also connected to the TV via HDMI, and it all seems great, the Hummy can control the volume (Except on HD channels but that's another section of the forum) I used to have a 3view box, and the Hummy, is far superior for 5.1 sound......well the 3view just did stereo to be honest. My set up is Sony TV, and Sony Surround, I've not as yet had any issues with connectivity. If my Surround is turned off, i do get the TV speaker activate, and visa verse. I too wanted to eliminate my remotes, and as the Hummy has a programmable remote, you have that extra control if need for the TV or Amp at a simple push of the button, no need to get the other remotes.....BRILLIANT. now to get Sumvision to get me the remote control numbers, and I can control my MKV player too.

Well its been up and running since Christmas. Now I wont say "I have not had any issues" so I don't tempt fate.......

I have my HDMI connected from the hummy to the Tv, and my surround/DVD also connected to the TV via HDMI, and it all seems great, the Hummy can control the volume (Except on HD channels but that's another section of the forum) I used to have a 3view box, and the Hummy, is far superior for 5.1 sound......well the 3view just did stereo to be honest. My set up is Sony TV, and Sony Surround, I've not as yet had any issues with connectivity. If my Surround is turned off, i do get the TV speaker activate, and visa verse. I too wanted to eliminate my remotes, and as the Hummy has a programmable remote, you have that extra control if need for the TV or Amp at a simple push of the button, no need to get the other remotes.....BRILLIANT. now to get Sumvision to get me the remote control numbers, and I can control my MKV player too.

Please to see it may well work OK, would the fiber link help the HD isue?

Sending audio to the amp by optical will not reinstate HiDef volume control at the Humax end.

It is the considered opinion of this house that in general it is best (for best sound quality) to leave the Humax set to max and to control the volume at the final stage in the chain (and only deviate from that for purposes of source level matching or when it is grossly inconvenient to control the volume at the output stage).

I am in the habit of pressing the "TV" button on the remote before I change the volume setting (or in your case the "AUDIO" button). If that is an annoyance, a Logitech Harmony universal remote control (and no doubt others) can be programmed to "punch through" the volume control commands to the audio regardless of what mode the remote is in, and it is reported that a hardware hack may be able to make the Humax remote operate in a similar way (pending).

I have my HDR-FOX T2 connected to my Samsung UE6530 55" TV via HDMI.

Most of the time we rely on the TV's speakers, but when we watch anything through Apple TV or Blu Ray with have the sound coming through our Samsung Home cinema which all works brilliantly, again this is via HDMI.
The only issue I have is when we want to output sound from the Humax to the Home Cinema. Its connected via the optical out on the Humax to the Optical in on the Home Cinema and there is always a delay before the sound initially starts. Sometimes it can be say 5-6 seconds, other times as long as 30. While this is OK once the sound has started, its a bit of a paint when I skip or fast forward because everytme it has the waiting time before the sound starts again.

The Humax sound is set to multi channel. I did try stereo, but from what I remember it did the same thing :(

Your optical audio delay sounds like an issue with your Samsung Home Cinema system, I have my HDR-FOX T2's connected to my Denon AV receiver via it's single optical input, and do not have any delay.
Have you tried connecting another item such as a DVD player to the optical in on your Home Cinema to see if this also suffers from the delay that you describe.

Your optical audio delay sounds like an issue with your Samsung Home Cinema system, I have my HDR-FOX T2's connected to my Denon AV receiver via it's single optical input, and do not have any delay.
Have you tried connecting another item such as a DVD player to the optical in on your Home Cinema to see if this also suffers from the delay that you describe.

Sounds like a good idea for a test. I will have to try and borrow a DVD player from someone as the Home Cinema is our only source for playing DVD/Blu Ray.

On the other hand I could re-jig the Apple TV and plug that in using the optical out instead.

Thank you :)

It would be interesting to see if the results were similar, as this would definitely point towards a fault with your Home Cinema. If it is an old system, it may be worth an upgrade.

It would be interesting to see if the results were similar, as this would definitely point towards a fault with your Home Cinema. If it is an old system, it may be worth an upgrade.
I will have a go at the weekend.

The model number is Samsung HT-C5500 & probably only about 18 months old, so I would of thought it would be ok. It has Internet@tv on it, so its pretty fairly up todate.

Back