Connecting T2 to US HD Television.

SeanSlattery

After a few years in the US, I've returned with a television I hoped I could make use of in the UK. However I'm having no luck connecting my T2 to the television (Samsung UN46EH6000F). The TV display just says "mode not supported"

What makes me think this should work: I have a UK Sony blu-ray player which has no trouble feeding UK blu-ray movies to this set. Everything works great there.

I had hoped that I could perhaps force the T2 to always output 1080i or 1080p, but pressing the V-Format button repeatedly doesn't produce any better result.

Can anyone guess why my blu-ray player feeds an acceptable HDMI signal, but my T2 doesn't? Is there a solution short of changing my TV?

Any insight appreciated.

S.

It is probably due to the frequency of the HDMI output. The Hummy outputs at 50Hz (European standard): your US TV will work with 60Hz (US) and maybe 24Hz (blu-ray) but possibly not with 50Hz. The blu-ray can probably output 24, 50 or 60Hz so will be OK. You can hook up the Hummy using the composite terminals, but the picture won't be great. You can get HDMI converter boxes, but I don't know how much they cost or how good they are.

Edit: Black Hole beat me to it again!

I'm not sure you will get any joy from the SCART / composite video output either, you will still be getting the 50Hz / 60Hz problem but you will also be getting a different line rate (625 / 525) and a PAL / NTSC colour standard mismatch

I'm not sure you will get any joy from the SCART / composite video output either, you will still be getting the 50Hz / 60Hz problem but you will also be getting a different line rate (625 / 525) and a PAL / NTSC colour standard mismatch
Didn't think about that. It is a shame, UK TVs are good at coping with US standards, but not vice versa :(. Even my old Sony Bravia TV, which can't handle 1080p, is happy with 60Hz HDMI, and NTSC output from US dvds.

Yes, it's strange how the Japanese (and now Korean) manufactures produce different builds of TV, with American ones quite commonly only working on American standards, UK TV working on UK and US standards and mainland Europe models commonly working on US, UK and Euro standards, I had a 'grey import' analogue Sony TV form France that not only worked in the UK but also would have worked in the US, i.e. 525 line / 60hZ NTSC and also worked on SECAM colour, german NICAM stereo, the lot, plus quite a lot cheaper then the UK model

Although it's £50 you would rather not pay, in a way, I'm surprised it is possible to buy a box that will convert from UK / US HDMI to US / UK HDMI, quite a few years ago, I once saw a rack of equipment at the BBC, that converted 625 line / 50Hz PAL to 525 line / 60Hz NTSC and cost tens of thousands of pounds ! ! !

Although it's £50 you would rather not pay, in a way, I'm surprised it is possible to buy a box that will convert from UK / US HDMI to US / UK HDMI, quite a few years ago, I once saw a rack of equipment at the BBC, that converted 625 line / 50Hz PAL to 525 line / 60Hz NTSC and cost tens of thousands of pounds ! ! !
High speed dual-ported digital frame buffers with video speed DAC and ADC used to be the stuff of bespoke hardware, now it's a cinch and digital TV eliminates the need for the DAC/ADC (probably an FPGA and a few other bits, or could even be off-the-shelf LSI if the Far East sees a market for it).

Another US electronic that's a bit pants over here is FM car radios. We use all the decimals for radio transmission, like 93.7, 93.8, 93.9, etc, and most radios can actually tune between: 93.70, 93.75 93.80, 93.85, 93.90, etc.
But in the US they only transmit on the odds: 93.5, 93.7, 93.9, 94.1, etc. So their radios only tune to the odds ... and nothing in between!

Having just bought a US import car my choice of radio listening has literally been halved :)

Back