Connecting to freesat TV

Graeme Coulson

Guys - just had to buy a new plasma. My trusty old Pioneer PDP435xde finally gave up the ghost so far as the HDMI inputs go. Get a constant green screen and confirmed it's not the humax box -another HDMI recorder also exhibits the same thing but with a blank screen - suspect it's the handshaking issue with Pioneer as otherwise the TV is working. Anyway - I've just ordered a Panasonic Viera TX-P46GT30 which also has a freesat lmb input and so to make use of that I could run another cable from the LMB / Dish. However - the Humax has an LMB out on there. Could I just run that to the TV input? The Humax is using both LMB inputs so I get full functionality of the recorder etc. Would this work or is there any real drawback in doing this.
I'm not too worried about recording on the Humax while viewing - the TV will just be for casual viewing of freesat instead of having to use the Humax. If that makes sense. Does the humax have to be switched on for the signal to pass through etc.
Thanks for any responses in advance.
Graeme

The lnb out port on the Foxsat will output channels sharing the same frequency band and polarisation as tuner 1 is using while it's on or recording (about 40% or so of the total channel count for the two low band variations). According to the manual the box will pass control signals to the lnb from another tuner if low power sby is disabled so if that's correct when in sby it should work. Don't be surprised though if it wakes up to record you may lose what you are watching. For the cost of a length of coax much better to connect one of the 2 spare lnb outputs you will most likely already have.

Hello Graham - I figured something like that would be the case. Yes I have a quad lmb - one for sky and two for freesat so I could just run another cable. I guess I really wanted to avoid running another cable outside the house. I'll take a look around for any multi cables if they exist and run some new seperate feeds to keep it tidy - maybe get an octal LMB while I'm up there for the future. Thanks for your quick response - it is always appreciated. cheers, Graeme

Hello Graham - I figured something like that would be the case. Yes I have a quad lmb - one for sky and two for freesat so I could just run another cable. I guess I really wanted to avoid running another cable outside the house. I'll take a look around for any multi cables if they exist and run some new seperate feeds to keep it tidy - maybe get an octal LMB while I'm up there for the future. Thanks for your quick response - it is always appreciated. cheers, Graeme

It's a lnb - Low Noise Block Down Converter.

Back