Connecting to NAS server

Iain

HDR is happily connected to my network (wired) and no problem with TV portal - therefore no network problems. However, I have a Buffalo terrastation NAS server on the network, with FTP server enabled and FTP is enabled on HDR, but HDR searches the network for a few minutes and doesn't find the NAS server. I must be missing something obvious - any ideas pls?

I've got a Buffalo Linkstation Live (with DLNA) on my network which the Hummy can also see no problems at all.

I must be missing something obvious
The FTP function on the Humax is a server, not a client, so it won't find your NAS that way. As Chris says, enable DLNA on the NAS and the Humax should see it. You don't have to enable DLNA on the Humax, again that's a server function. The Humax has had DLNA client functionality from day one.

The FTP function on the Humax is a server, not a client, so it won't find your NAS that way. As Chris says, enable DLNA on the NAS and the Humax should see it. You don't have to enable DLNA on the Humax, again that's a server function. The Humax has had DLNA client functionality from day one.

Thanks for the advice - I presume that DLNA is the same as UPNP. I will play with my NAS device when I get home and see if it then becomes visible to the HDR.

Turned off FTP on NAS, but could not find any settings to turn on "DNLA" or "UPNP" - perhaps automatically on, or hidden under another setting. HDR still not able to find NAS on my wired network.

However, after reading another thread, I downloaded FileZilla on PC (PC has XP - therefore not able to see HDR) and found that I could fully access HDR and very easily (and relatively quickly) copy files between HDR and NAS. This enables me to achieve two objectives - back up of all recordings on HDR and ability to store on NAS when HDR disc full (presumably necessary to copy the full 4 file set?). Obviously not able to play back on PC, but if I attach USB disc to HDR, copy to that disc and then use FileZilla to copy to NAS from that attached disc I could watch standard definition recordings on PC using VLC. Therefore useful progress - but annoying that HDR cannot see NAS so that I could copy both ways without having to use the PC.

A quick google search threw up this. (It can run Twonky)

You might want to search google and see if you can find a solution to install it.

ChrisD - Thanks for the last advice, but want to keep life simple.

Looked again on NAS server and found a hidden setting to turn on DNLA, FTP is also still turned on, but HDR still cannot find the NAS. I can't help thinking I must be missing something obvious! Should I not have both turned on?

On the positive side - attached an external HDD to the HDR (preformatted in Ext3 using Acronis software on my PC), copied both a standard def and a high def film to the external HDD and used Filezilla (which could see the external drive as well as the HDR) to copy both to the NAS. The standard definition film can now be played back on any networked PC or laptop using VLC, but not the high definition film. Therefore have a means of backing up/storing all recordings on my NAS and a means of playing back all standard def recordings anywhere in the home. Very significant progress, but miffed that I can't see the NAS from the HDR which would make life much easier. Like everyone else I will have to wait for a straightforward way of watching high def recordings on networked Pcs/laptops.

I notice that the Buffalo supports CIFS/SMB. This would be an alternative if you have installed the mod. DLNA is more likely to give limited FF/REW capabilities when playing back on the HDR. Using CIFS, it is possible to set it up so that the NAS appears as a folder on the Humax GUI. Decryption and copying to the NAS can be done as a single operation once the encryption flags have been cleared. The main down side is that CIFS configuration can only be done using text files at the moment.

Even more baffled - my daughter's Win 7 laptop can see the HDR, but not its attached USD hard drive, and the HDR can see the win 7 laptop, but does not offer the laptop as a possible destination when copying files from the HDR or its attached drive.

Have also now configured my Netgear ReadyNas quad for FTP and DNLA, but it also cannot be seen by the HDR. All Pcs and laptops when using my network can see and playback standard definition recordings using VLC from both the Buffalo Terrastation NAS and the Netgear ReadyNas. All this network NAS storage available and none of it visible from the HDR! Therefore left with using FileZilla to do all my copying to/from HDR and/or its attached USB drive. I don't fancy any mod route, and can't see why the DNLA Nas devices are not visible from the HDR when the network is clearly working fine. It's doing my head in.

I can solve one small element of that: the standard DLNA server on the Humax will not make the attached storage accessible.

Back