Connection to HDR problems

chaosss

Please bear with me on this, hopefully it will all make sense in the end.

Up until recently I had an HDR Fox T2 in the lounge being used as a PVR. This was connected via homeplugs to my router (via a switch) to provide net connectivity. All's good so far. This is running the latest software build.

Also connected (again via the switch) is my PC which has TVersity running as a DLNA server serving music, photos, video etc to the network. My HDR Fox T2 happiily connected to this and streamed all sorts.

In order to have media accessible in the bedroom I used a wireless video sender. Not a great solution as the quality was pretty poor but having just moved in it was a stop gap and until now has worked well.

Yesterday a new HD Fox T2 was delivered. Upgraded hte software to the latest version, plugged in and it did its stuff and tuned in the channels. Again connected to the router via homeplugs. The main reason for purchasing this box was to stream recorded media from the HDR and PC above. Upon being allocated an IP address it promptly picked up my TVersity DLNA server and can successfully stream media from the PC.

However, and this is where my problem lies, it didn't pick up the HDR Fox at all. I was under the impression that streaming between the boxes was out of the box functionality and it would use an identical interface with the folder structure etc. in tact. It would also allow me to stream all of the HD recordings. I enabled Media Sharing on the HDR but still no joy on the HD.

Later that evening I switched off my media server and immediately the HDR showed on my list of network shares. This is the uPNP share of the HDR and therefore the folder structure is lost, the filenames are not as per hte HDR and the HD recordings are not showing.

When my PC was on I could ping both the HD and HDR, as expected as both could see the media on the PC.

Therefore I have several questions:

1) Ignoring the rest of the network when the HD and HDR are connected through a router should the HD see the recorded media interface exactly as per the HDR (i.e. not using the generic Media Server interface which loses the folder structure etc.)?

2) If number 1) why were my boxes not seeing each other. I assume you access through the standard Media/Network bit and the HDR should show up there?

3) If not 1) why does my HD only see the media content share functionality of the HDR when my other PC is turned off? Is there a limit on the number of DLNA/uPNP servers on the network simultaneously?

4) Unfortunately the box seems very limited in any debug facilities. (i.e. I can't run ping or anything). If I apply the modded firmware to my HD box will this allow better diagnostics?

My ideal situation is as follows:
The HDR does all of my recording as currently. It can access the DLNA server on my PC for streaming of other material.
The HD connects directly with the HDR (not use the Media content sharing) so the folder structure is maintained and I can stream HD recordings.
The HD also sees the DLNA server on my PC allowing streaming.

I should add a further complication here which may help in resolving the problem. I run a BT router and when I first got my HDR I had huge problems connecting to the DLNA server on my PC (It would appear then disappear etc.). It turns out the BT router has a bug in the firmware. Hence the introduction of my switch which sorted this issue. I cannot however see how this is affecting my current problems.

Thanks for any suggestions.

This is more-or-less what I'm aiming for myself. You do not expect the access from the HD-FOX to be any different to access from (say) XBMC on the PC, it is using the same interface, however the HiDef content should show up and be playable (if I recall I got "no entry" signs but it still worked - check my blog on the HDR forum).

All I have done so far is to hook up the HD- directly to the HDR- by Homeplug (equivalent to running one piece of Cat5 between the two. I will give more guidance when I get around to setting up the full system (once I get my Qumi that is).

Back