Connectivity of HDR1000s/1010s

grazzer

Hi! And thanks for a most interesting site!

I've read lots on here, specifically regarding the ability to start watching a recorded programme on one recorder, then completing it on another machine in a different room.
I have an HDR1000s and a FOXSAT-HDR.
However, if it would simplify things, I could buy another 1000s or 1010s and reuse the FOXSAT elsewhere.
My question is whether the 1000s and new 1000s or 1010s could be directly connected by ethernet cable to achieve the above scenario without the use of a router or server setup?

We don't watch films other than via a dvd player, so streaming isn't yet required.

Any guidance will be appreciated...

Even with a proper home network the G2 Freetime box cannot (yet) act as a DLNA server, only a client. The Foxsat-hdr can only act as a DLNA server and requires custom firmware to achieve this. To work each box requires an IP address issued by a router, I doubt you could make it work on a peer to peer basis. A HDR1000s can play Foxsat-hdr recordings over a network but requires the Custom Firmware installing.

Many thanks for that information Graham!

I'm reluctant to tinker with the firmware as we only watch programmes we've recorded and you will understand that any loss would be punishable by death...

May I ask another question?
Is it possible to transfer programmes from the foxsat-hdr to the hdr10000s by usb or cat5 if one machine was relocated temporarily?

My alternative will be to buy the new unit so the foxsat can be emptied in whichever room, then used or modified as time permits.

Is there an idiot's guide (er, step by step instruction) to installing the firmware and setting up a server etc.?
My situation isn't helped by using Macs and not yet having a computer I can "Linux" to make a server from.

You can transfer SD programmes from a Foxsat-HDR to A HDR1000S using usb. To play them back on a hdr1000S you will need to either delete or rename the Foxsat sidecar files (.hmt and .nts). Very long SD programmes (over 4GB) will require a usb device formatted EXT3. The Foxsat won't work with NTFS. The CF includes full instructions on how to set it up within the download. Once installed there is a very good documentation page within the Web Interface.

Not sure, but without access to the internet, installing the full Web Interface and maintaining it will be very difficult anyway. The download basically only sets up the basic comms between the Foxsat and a web browser. The rest is downloaded on demand from the internet. Identifying updates for packages and installing new packages is therefore very simple. Remote access of course will need connecting to a router anyway.

Thanks for the replies.

If I do anything, it'll be to buy another 1000s and connect it to the router.

In the meantime, and sorry to go off at a tangent, how can I set up a WiFi dongle (802.11N) in my Foxsat-HDR to talk to my router?
I have tried this but my AirPort Extreme (in bridge mode) is being silly. Perhaps it's me.
Should I try to get the dongle and router talking directly? Or will the APE try to intervene?

Back