Continuous loop on start up

mcook

Hello everyone.

When I power up my Humax HDR-FOX T2 with custom firmware 1.03.12 mod 3.13 it's just looping round at startup.

It was working fine yesterday to view TV and copy some files from an attached USB drive over FTP. This morning I put it in standby, disconnected the USB drive, connected it to a Windows PC to copy files directly, remembered that Windows doesn't support EXT3, reconnected it to the Humax, turned on, and wondered why I couldn't connect to FTP. Turned out it was still looping around at startup.

I've disconnected the USB drive and waited an hour before trying again, still looping. I've redownloaded the firmware and tried flashing again. The flashing interface opens and 'downloads' and programmes the firmware very quickly (less then 30 seconds). It gives the success message asking me to restart the box (though not the normal 'END' message) but that goes back into the startup loop. I tried downloading 1.02.32, that took a couple of minutes to flash, spent a bit of time at 90% when programming, again no 'END' message but it did say success and to restart, but restarting still loops.

I've also noticed that the tuner on my TV now complains of a weak/non existent signal when the Humax is powered off. I have the aerial going into the Humax then passing through from the Humax out to the TV. I don't normally watch TV via the TV tuner so I don't know if that only started today.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

Thank you!

I've also noticed that the tuner on my TV now complains of a weak/non existent signal when the Humax is powered off. I have the aerial going into the Humax then passing through from the Humax out to the TV. I don't normally watch TV via the TV tuner so I don't know if that only started today.
Because only today do you have the HDR powered off. Previously it would have been in standby, with the standby settings set to continue powering the UHF pass-through.

When I power up my Humax HDR-FOX T2 with custom firmware 1.03.12 mod 3.13 it's just looping round at startup.
This is (most likely) the increasingly common fault that the unit restarts when it enables power to the HDD near the end of the boot sequence. I have investigated a unit showing similar symptoms, but not pinned down a cause. If you are very lucky, replacing the HDD could fix it – but it's a gamble.

Thank you @Black Hole I'll have a look at those links. Let's hope I can get my recordings back.

I think either way it's time for me to get a new box anyway. Just need to decide if being able to copy recordings to PC is worth the extra for the Aura over the Manhattan.

Let's hope I can get my recordings back.
From HDR-FOX HDD Replacement (click through for more info):
Access to the Existing Recordings on the Old Drive

As standard, recordings are stored in an encrypted form (with the intention of discouraging piracy, particularly of HiDef recordings). The HDR-FOX itself encrypts the recordings when made, and decrypts them in the process of playback, and the user is unaware of it. However, the consequence is that if a HDD were transplanted from one HDR-FOX to another, recordings would no longer play because the new HDR-FOX doesn't have the right decryption key...

5. Recovering Recordings for Use Not on the Original HDR-FOX

There are a few problems to be addressed if recordings are being recovered from a HDD for use not on the original HDR-FOX (such as if the HDR-FOX failed for reasons other than the HDD)...

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with my HDR-Fox T2, disconnect the internal power supply to the hard disc and see if that allows the box to initialise, it may be the drive is faulty.

Back