Convert MKV audio on the box?

Kev_w

[Solved]...ish. The Humax is ok with ac-3 audio in the mp4 container but not mkv so running it through ffmpeg on the box makes the downloaded mkv files playable. See below....

Hello all,

Essentially I've been using the transmission bit torrent client on my hummy and I'm loving the prospect of completely negating the need for a pc to download and watch content on my tv.

The only issue is that the hummy is very picky when it comes to mkv audio (think it just does aac?) so alot of my HD content does not play.

I've found some windows tools that will do the audio conversion over my samba share but it would be great to be able to do the conversion on the box.

It appears that the ffmpeg package on the hummy repository might be able to do the audio conversion I'm after but I'm not sure how to use it. Don't know if it would handle unpacking the mkv to the separate audio/video streams and repack them afterwards.

Also not sure how much of a drain this would be on the hummys system resources?

Is this a feasable idea or a non starter?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Have you got a small sample - couple of minutes say - to look at?

I'm at work at the moment but will see what I can do when I get home.

I see another option might be to repackage as an mp4 without converting the audio but I think that looses suftsubs and don't want to learn Japanese.

It appears that the ffmpeg package on the hummy repository might be able to do the audio conversion . . .
I've copied this from your previous thread :-

Although the Humax uses ffmpeg to extract audio files while it is also being a TV tuner, it could really only convert audio files while not being used as a TV tuner, there is some info. HERE

Success!!!

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy -sn output.mp4

Audio stays ac3 but the Humax seems ok with that if its in the mp4 container rather than mkv

The Hummy converts the file at around 200fps - 1hr file in around 5mins

This works for the particular files I was having an issue with - I've found at least one mkv file that the above command does not work on however.

Have you tried simply renaming the MKV to MP4 ? It's worth a try

Doesn't work :)

Interesting that just renaming the file makes the file unplayable in windows but the humax just seems to ignore the extention and treat the file as it did before (playing until the sound starts).

Oh, well, I was thinking it might do the same as some Video players on P.C.s that won't play a *.TS files downloaded from the Humax, but will play the same file if renamed to *.MPG, I guess in that case the player is just looking at the file extension type

I tried converting an ac-3 file to aac on the box using ffmpeg. Poor little thing struggled - half expected it to start billowing smoke. I didnt even have the patience to let it get to 0.2% before I had to reboot the box. I lost tv picture (still had sound) and the hummy was completely non responsive.

I dont think we will be doing any re encoding on the box any time soon.

But the box seems to be fine regarding stripping audio and video from a container and packing them in a container the hummy can deal with.

Success!!!

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy -sn output.mp4

Audio stays ac3 but the Humax seems ok with that if its in the mp4 container rather than mkv

The Hummy converts the file at around 200fps - 1hr file in around 5mins

This works for the particular files I was having an issue with - I've found at least one mkv file that the above command does not work on however.

Hi ive been away from the forum a while - DIY for a month - Damp proof courses AARGH.

Any chance this can be turned into a package? And perhaps added to the OPT+ when a file is selected?

For MKV stuff I gave up converting on my mac and ended up just sticking files onto a USB pen and plugging into my TV which was annoying after a time.

Back