Converting HDR-Fox T2 files for Foxsat-HDR

RobJF

I just tried playing some files from a Fox T2 on a Foxsat, direct from the external hdd (FAT), and it didn't work, they showed up as 0 bytes (and 0 everything else I think). Encryption was turned off on the T2 using one of the custom firmware options, I don't remember which ATM.

When I connect the hdd to a pc the files show up looking normal and WMP will play the video but without audio.

I'm assuming the files will need conversion and after a bit of googling I downloaded the VidCoder program. Before giving it a go though I thought it would be wise to ask (a) given these symptoms, is it true that conversion is the answer? (b) If so, is VidCoder the best free option? And (c) what's the best format to convert to for the Foxsat?

Assuming we are talking HD there are two issues.

The audio is aac, your PC will need a codec to play back aac audio.

Now to the Foxsat

The audio will need to be converted to ac3 (Dolby Digital) and the Foxsat sidecar support files (xx.htm and xxx.nts) will need creating. Raydons AV2HDR will create these files for you.

Assuming we are talking HD there are two issues.

Sorry, should have said, HD: yes.

The audio is aac, your PC will need a codec to play back aac audio.

That's OK, don't really want to use pc.

Now to the Foxsat

The audio will need to be converted to ac3 (Dolby Digital) and the Foxsat sidecar support files (xx.htm and xxx.nts) will need creating. Raydons AV2HDR will create these files for you.

That's great, I did look at that but thought it was for the T2 only. Will download and try it now. Thanks a lot. :)

I've now tried AV2HDR but something's wrong. I ran it on the T2 files with all settings to default except only output folder, it seemed to go OK, I copied the output files to the external hdd and tried playing on the Foxsat but there's no sound. Any suggestions?

Added later: I just realised maybe I need something else to do the audio conversion, was assuming AV2HDR would take care of that but maybe not.

Later still: did some googling, now know I have to convert the audio first, but please, I'm a media ignoramus, can somebody tell me the easiest way to achieve this?

Last edited:
I've now tried AV2HDR but something's wrong. I ran it on the T2 files with all settings to default except only output folder, it seemed to go OK, I copied the output files to the external hdd and tried playing on the Foxsat but there's no sound. Any suggestions?

Added later: I just realised maybe I need something else to do the audio conversion, was assuming AV2HDR would take care of that but maybe not.

Later still: did some googling, now know I have to convert the audio first, but please, I'm a media ignoramus, can somebody tell me the easiest way to achieve this?

AV2HDR can't convert the audio. I use FLV MP3 converter to create the ac3 file and tsmuxergui to remux the video and audio for AV2HDR. Note AV2HDR has problems with the latest version of tsamuxer - look for version 1:10:06.

Thanks very much Graham, but this is now looking like a bit too much trouble just to save a couple of programmes, given I have a great deal of other stuff on my plate ATM. Thanks again anyway.

Back