Converting Toppy .REC files and uploading them to Hummy

I've searched, but can't find the answer :) though I expect it's here somewhere! I'm migrating from a toppy to a hummy. I've exported my .REC files from the toppy (using Altair) to my laptop and will be converting them to another format for the hummy to play.

1) What format should I convert to? I'm using MPEG Streamclip, will MP4 fit the bill?

2) How do I upload the converted files to the hummy? From what I've gleaned it seems that I either have to set up the hummy on my home network and use FTP, or copy the converted files to a USB stick and copy onto the hummy directly using the USB port and on-screen menus. Is that correct or is there any facility to connect my laptop via USB to do the uploading?

mp4 would do, if that's what you want to do, but as said best to try to retain the original encoding. Have you tried renaming a file to .mpg and then playing it on a PC? If that works you might be able to put it straight onto the Humax.

File transfer: yes, you can FTP it on, or copy it on from USB using the standard menus, even with the standard firmware. You could also play it directly from the USB device, or set up a DLNA service on your PC and access it from the Humax.

mp4 would do, if that's what you want to do, but as said best to try to retain the original encoding. Have you tried renaming a file to .mpg and then playing it on a PC? If that works you might be able to put it straight onto the Humax.

Toppy .rec files have a non standard file header that includes the data you would get in the .hmt file on a Hummy. Might work if you are lucky though. Videoredo can even add this header allowing playback of mpeg2 content on a toppy as if it originally recorded it.

Ok, well the conversion to MP4 is slooooooow - 8 hrs for a 2'45" recording. But it will also convert to TS format - and that takes about 30sec / hour. I'll experiment and see if the TS file conversion will play. Unless anyone here hah tried it?

I always use .ts file format when ripping dvds to play on the Hummy (I use VLC's built in H264 AAC setting in the Convert option on the File Menu). I always find the quality is better to my eye over MP4 (although I don't save any file size over the original VOBs). I put these on my NAS drive and they play fine across the network and I get transport controls if I use the silver button to navigate. I can't remember exactly but I think if I put the files on the Hummy itself I get more transport controls working i.e. the ffw and rew buttons as well as via the big silver button because the Hummy can create a sidecar file that helps it track the navigation (but I could stand corrected on that).

There's also an option (slightly slower than the convert to TS but still a lot quicker than convertiung to MPEG) to convert to VID file format. I'll give both a try and see what happens.

Well, a summary. Conversion to Mpeg4 (as suggested to me on another forum) does indeed work - but the conversion (in Mpeg Streamclip) takes 4x real time!. However conversionds to MPEG and TS and TSVID all take 2-3 minutes each for a film. And MPEG and TS both play, TSVID not recognised.

I guess these formats simply repackage the existing stream into a new container, without any actual re-encoding. Did you try merely renaming the file? It's a trick that has worked for me (sometimes the player software is perfectly capable of interpreting the data, but doesn't recognise it because of the file extension).

Well conversion to .ts seems the simplest and fastest. And file names are carried over too, which is good. I haven't tried simple renaming yet.

Have successfully transferred a recording from my old Toppy to a laptop using Altair, converted it from .rec to.mpg using (paid for but well worth it) VideoReDo Plus, converted from .mpg to .ts, .hmt and .nts (need all three) using this wonderful program, copied it to usb stick and poked that into the hummy. Then used the hummy's file manager to welcome it aboard.

Have successfully transferred a recording from my old Toppy to a laptop using Altair, converted it from .rec to.mpg using (paid for but well worth it) VideoReDo Plus, converted from .mpg to .ts, .hmt and .nts (need all three) using this wonderful program, copied it to usb stick and poked that into the hummy. Then used the hummy's file manager to welcome it aboard.
You are presumably talking about transferring a recording to a Foxsat HDR, but this thread is about the HDR-FOX T2.

You are presumably talking about transferring a recording to a Foxsat HDR, but this thread is about the HDR-FOX T2.
I do beg your pardon. I came straight to this page from Google - didn't notice the thread trail. Fortunately, grahamlthompson has kindly put a link to the correct version for the T2.

I do beg your pardon. I came straight to this page from Google - didn't notice the thread trail. Fortunately, grahamlthompson has kindly put a link to the correct version for the T2.
That's OK, I just pointed it out in case it confused anybody.:)

Back