Converting ts files to allow transfer onto DVD

Max Catterwell

Hi all,
Having got my hummy finally working as I want it, I've come across the problem of TS files. Never come across them before, and foolishly thought that I could transfer stuff onto a memory stick and it would play on my puter! Although from what I read VLC player should play them, it doesn't.
Am I going to have to spend a fortune to get these into playable/writable format please?
Cheers
Max

It's sounds like the files are still encrypted, there is a decryption flow chart HERE, Note the symbols that are displayed in the Web-If against each file, you need the DEC symbol against the files if you are going to FTP them and ENC removed from Hi-Def files if you are going to copy them to a USB stick. Having obtained decrypted Standard Definition files it is possible to re-name *.ts files to *.mpg because they are already in MP2 format, High Def. needs conversion to MP2 with MP3 sound and resolution reduction

In order to get them onto DVD, I first extract to MPG (using the custom firmware web interface facilities), and then these can be imported into a video editor (which I cannot do with .ts).

It's sounds like the files are still encrypted, there is a decryption flow chart HERE, Note the symbols that are displayed in the Web-If against each file, you need the DEC symbol against the files if you are going to FTP them and ENC removed from Hi-Def files if you are going to copy them to a USB stick. Having obtained decrypted Standard Definition files it is possible to re-name *.ts files to *.mpg because they are already in MP2 format, High Def. needs conversion to MP2 with MP3 sound and resolution reduction
Inside my brain a dull tom-tom begins
I thank you for your reply, but unfortunately I understand virtually none of it! DEC, FTP and ENC mean nothing. I looked at the flow chart; again, nothing. I had no idea this was going to be so complicated. I complained about my Panasonic, but at least I could copy straight to DVD and then play it on my puter. Why have they made this so complicated?
Max

O.K. all programs both Standard definition and High definition recorded on your Humax are encrypted making then unplayable without removing the encryption. If you have the standard Humax software, e.g. you have not installed the Custom Firmware most of the flow chart will be of little use to you, apart from the USB Drive section. For standard definition the files are decrypted when you copy the file to a device connected to the USB sockets but this will not work for High definition. If you do want to decrypt High definition files you will need to run Foxy (See notes HERE)

I complained about my Panasonic, but at least I could copy straight to DVD and then play it on my puter. Why have they made this so complicated?

Why have you made your posts so complicated by using a non-default font? Because you can!

Firstly, is your Panasonic an analogue TV PVR/DVD recorder? I have an analogue PVR/DVD, and it has to digitise the incoming video which is then formatted into the file structure which is standard for DVDs, so it can either record straight to DVD or onto hard drive and be able to copy to DVD later.

A digital TV PVR is a simpler beast in that the video stream is already digital and needs no conversion, just copying to disk. Unfortunately the format used in the broadcast is called Transport Stream (TS) and is not DVD compatible. That would not stop you copying it as data to a USB stick (or DVDR via some external device) and playing it through a suitable media player (VLC 2.0, Splash Player Lite, and XBMC recommended for PC), but first you have to overcome content protection.

This is imposed by the licence to use EPG data for recording scheduling. All recordings are encrypted on the Humax disk, StDef recordings are decrypted when copied to a USB drive and can then be played by the aforementioned programs on a PC, HiDef recordings require a little intervention before you can do the same - check out the background reading linked in my signature panel below (which is why it says "new readers click here").

Copying a TS file to a DVDR will never create a DVD playable in an ordinary DVD player - first it has to be converted to VOB (the correct video encoding for DVD players) and then it has to be written to the DVDR in the right way. An analogue PVR/DVD recorder does that for you, a digital PVR does not. Therefore the work flow to produce a DVD from TS is to import the TS into a video editor and then export a DVD. In my case Serif MoviePlus does not import TS so I convert to MPG first (which is much simpler than TS/MPG conversion to VOB).

Hi again all!
Sorry for the delay in replying to your posts; I've not been well. OK, I finally made the next moves. I've updated the official humax software to the latest version, and then installed the Custom firmware and have the PC web interface running fine. It seems my next move is to install Foxy; I always hesitate to register for anything, but it looks like I have no option. I'll try and get this done later.
I'm not sure whether or not I should start a new thread about this, but there's one other big disappointment I've found. It seems that virtually all YouTube bits I've wanted to look at, come up with a 'File type not recognised' error; is this par for the course and common?
Thanks
Max

You don't need FOXY with the custom firmware installed, it provided unlocking facilities for people not using the custom firmware. Look at the relevant entry in the Glossary (link below).

Back