Cooling Fan

Is the fan-on detection controlled by your ear?

Yes, It seems to have 3 levels sort of full, half and quarter, But I don't know how to read this from the Humax, I would estimate something like, full on=55 C, half on=52 C, quarter on = 49 C and off = 46 C

Yes, It seems to have 3 levels sort of full, half and quarter, But I don't know how to read this from the Humax, I would estimate something like, full on=55 C, half on=52 C, quarter on = 49 C and off = 46 C
I have seen the observed thresholds posted somewhere else in the past but can't find them now. It makes sense that the HD temperature sensor is used.

sysmon is my starter-for-ten package. It's a framework for monitoring which currently just has a module for HDD temperature. At the moment it just records the temperature in a database every minute but the next version will handle automatic summarisation of the data and add a graphing module.

It should be fairly trivial to add other metrics like CPU utilisation.

Is there a specific reason for writing this out in a .db file? Wouldn't a simple text .log file be easier for other purposes?

While it is trivial to generate a text file from a database, it is not easy to use a text file as a database. If you want to manipulate the data at all or be able to select events from an arbitrary time range or just quickly find the peaks and troughs, then putting it in a database is the right thing to do.

By the time we're logging multiple data sources a database also gives you the option to easily correlate them.

Being old-school, I would have awk (or I suppose sed might do similar) to extract what I wanted from a text file. But then I recently proved my worth with databases by giving up and using a spreadsheet instead!

Being old-school, I would have awk (or I suppose sed might do similar) to extract what I wanted from a text file. But then I recently proved my worth with databases by giving up and using a spreadsheet instead!

It's surprising what can be done just using grep ! ! ! that's all I used

Back