Copy files Humax to Humax

PJH: try something. Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> FTP Server = On, then connect from a PC with an FTP client (Filezilla seems to be popular) using the IP address shown on the Internet Setting screen. Try writing a file (any small file will do). If that succeeds we might be OK - if not it confirms the file system has gone read-only.

That's not going to work with read-only on the hard drive. We are currently trying to fix it so that the OP can use Foxy.

I've got the install done.
What I did was insert the USB then turn the Humax off at the mains (not just put into standby, as per the instructions).

When the install was complete I had to "remove the USB" then press the standby button.

I'll now continue to follow the instructions.

Following you upgrade instructions, I've fallen at the first hurdle (maybe the second). I have successfully got the .hdf file onto a FAT32 USB stick. But when I plug it into the Humax box (in standby mode) and turn the box on, I am prompted to copy the files - rather than an installation starting.

It strikes me now that I missed the obvious: it sounds like you did not put the HDR-FOX into standby long enough for it to have completed the shutdown process and gone to sleep (signalled by an audible click when the drive turns off). Redrafting it before the end of shutdown results in it starting up without a reboot, and not looking for an update file.

I will review and amend the instructions if necessary.

It strikes me now that I missed the obvious: it sounds like you did not put the HDR-FOX into standby long enough for it to have completed the shutdown process and gone to sleep (signalled by an audible click when the drive turns off). Redrafting it before the end of shutdown results in it starting up without a reboot, and not looking for an update file.

I will review and amend the instructions if necessary.

That's quite likely - I didn't leave it in standby for long.
I've now done the telnet steps and selected fix disk.
I get a few "error reading block 262171" type messages.

At the moment the box seems to be working perfectly :)
I'll do more tests throughout the day, but for now it's all good.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Excellent. I guess that means you no longer wish to transfer recordings.

Now you have the CF installed, I suggest you access the second-stage install with your web browser and complete the process. I strongly recommend the following optional packages:

auto-unprotect - makes HiDef content copy and stream the same as StDef;
ntfs-3g - makes NTFS-formatted USB drives writable (overcoming the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32);
disable-ota - prevents automatic updates over-writing the customised firmware (do it only when you're ready);
disable-dso - prevents automatic retunes erasing your recording schedule (do it only when you're ready);
auto-update - keeps the custom software elements updated (not the firmware, that's a manual job).

The web interface includes a number of facilities as standard, including keeping daily backups of your recording schedule so it can be restored again after a retune.

I suggest going into the webif diagnostics page and select 'Hard Disk' to ensure that there is not an underlying disk problem.

Back