Copy files over 4GB (Ext3 ?) foxsat hdr

charentejohn

I know this is a common question but I can't seem to find a simple answer. My macine is a standard Foxsat HDR, older model I think, about 5 yrs old.

I have a large file (3.5hrs) that won't copy onto my 16GB Fat32 memory stick, so how do I copy it. It is a part of the Glastonbury festival and I only want 1 hr of it.
So is there a way to edit it, can't see one and not sure about downloading software etc.

I tried formatting the stick to Ext3 using Partition Magic, worked ok but Humas refuses to recognise it.
It will see a Fat32 format but Fat32 has a 4GB limit so no use.
Sadly can't see Ntfs format, bit of an oversight there ? so can't use that.

I read somewhere (I think) that the Humax could format the memory stick if it was 32GB or over, true or false ? When I look at the screen showing HDD and memory stick I can not see an option to format the drive.
Even if it can what would it format it into ? not Fat32 as that still would not work.

Any ideas ?
I had the same problem with a movie that I just had to delete, if I had realised it was going to be a problem I would have recorded it as two overlapping parts and stitched them back together. Can't do it with this though.
Why does it not see the Ext3 format drive ? What is Ext3 anyway as my next problem is Windows doesn't recognise it, there is probably a solution to that but tedious that they didn't use a worldwide format for the copy file.

In the absence of info from Foxsat owners, I think you may be suffering from the delusion that the Foxsat behaves in the same way as an HDR-FOX. It is, I believe, somewhat more limited and I don't think it can format drives.

For info about drives in general, see Things Every... (click) section 12 (the material relates to HD/HDR-FOX, but drives are the same).

What is Ext3 anyway
Ext3 is one of the Linux file systems.
as my next problem is Windows doesn't recognise it,
There are various drivers that you can install that will allow Windows to read Ext2/3/4.
but tedious that they didn't use a worldwide format for the copy file.
Ext3 is a world wide format and open source so that no licence fees are payable. At the time the Foxsat was first released NTFS support for Linux was still very much a work in progress. The later FOX-HDR T2 Freeview box has read only NTFS support as standard and this can be extended to Read/Write support with the custom firmware.

The Foxsat-hdr really requires a properly formatted EXT3 drive for directly copying files to usb. The box can't format the drive for you unless you remove the internal hard drive and temporarily connect the drive directly to the internal sata port (in this event you of course get a replica of the file and folder EXT3 setup used on the internal drive :) . If you do the mod that brings out the internal sata connections externally using a e-sata connector then the two drives are in fact cold swappable so you can record directly to either. The recording schedule though is on the disc so you have to create a reservation on the disk you want to record to. The custom firmware however will allow the copying of files to a PC to any file system windows supports directly via a network connection. The CF has options to use ftp and/or map the drive within file explorer, as a result you can download and upload content at will. There's also a patch available to the Humax settop app that causes future HD recordings to be recorded without encryption. As a result one of the CF DLNA server options allows you to stream even HD content to other home devices. I regulary watch HD content on a HD Android Tablet.

EXT2FS is the utility normally used to access EXT2/3 drives in Windows as it allows both read and write operations.

Thanks for the info.
I assume then that the Humax is a Linux system ? Why would be my question, but I suppose it was a while ago, still I would have thought it would use the system used by the majority of computers, seems not.
Still good to know Ext3 can be processed by windows though.

Graham, I will have to read your post a few more times I think, not sure on the permutations that would be best.
Not sure what CF is though ?

I have formatted a 16GB pen drive to EXT3 using Partition Magic, so why does the Humax not recognise it.
If it could just do that problem solved..........
I could copy the file and use other software mentioned above to load it to windows.
Is there a trick to formatting a pen drive to Ext3, does it want a drive name or something. When I look at the drive it says Ext3, when I put it into the Humax it says ?????????

I assume then that the Humax is a Linux system? Why would be my question, but I suppose it was a while ago, still I would have thought it would use the system used by the majority of computers, seems not.

Yes it is. The majority of computers /do/ run some form of UNIX (such as Linux). It is very likely that things like your TV, BluRay/DVD player, mobile 'phone etc. are running Linux or another UNIX variant. It's a very appropriate and well suited platform for embedded systems like the Humax.

Is there a trick to formatting a pen drive to Ext3, does it want a drive name or something.
I'm not sure why the Humax isn't recognising the drive you have formatted, but you should avoid using EXT3 on a flash device as it will wear it out very quickly due to the journaling system. Format it as EXT2 instead and the Humax should still read it.
Somebody else may have an idea about why you are seeing the question marks.

Thanks, I will try Ext2 format. The question marks were just to show the bos's confusion, like in old Batman movies where the box goes ????????? :)

Graham, I will have to read your post a few more times I think, not sure on the permutations that would be best.
Not sure what CF is though ?

CF - Custom Firmware see

http://www.avforums.com/forums/free...r-bundle-foxsat-hdr-release-4-0-part-4-a.html

Your PC will run Linux directly without making any changes to it. The operating system can be booted from a usb port or a CD drive. Being open source there are a number of free versions that can be installed to usb/cd.

Two examples

http://www.slax.org/en/download.php

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Thanks but I may have to give up on this, I tried Ext2 and it just gives the 'use Ext3 or Fat32' message again.
I am not comfortable with updating software on the Humax, I am more of an 'if it ain't broke' type and am worried that as I would have no idea what I am doing it would go wrong and I wouldn't be able to fix it.
I appreciate that a lot of people have no problem with that but I prefer plug and play.

I wanted to cut out the part of the Glastonbury Stones appearance for my wife but the recording was 4 hrs. So I guess I will just bin it as not possible to do this with the box I have.
If I had realised I would have done a manual recording in 2hr overlapping intervals and edited them together if needed.

Still puzzled as to why a drive in Ext3 format isn't recognised but no problem.
Thanks for trying and I am sure the solutions would work for others, just setting up servers and running Linux on my PC is a bit too complex for me.

Thanks but I may have to give up on this, I tried Ext2 and it just gives the 'use Ext3 or Fat32' message again.
I am not comfortable with updating software on the Humax, I am more of an 'if it ain't broke' type and am worried that as I would have no idea what I am doing it would go wrong and I wouldn't be able to fix it.
I appreciate that a lot of people have no problem with that but I prefer plug and play.

I wanted to cut out the part of the Glastonbury Stones appearance for my wife but the recording was 4 hrs. So I guess I will just bin it as not possible to do this with the box I have.
If I had realised I would have done a manual recording in 2hr overlapping intervals and edited them together if needed.

Still puzzled as to why a drive in Ext3 format isn't recognised but no problem.
Thanks for trying and I am sure the solutions would work for others, just setting up servers and running Linux on my PC is a bit too complex for me.

The custom firmware is perfectly safe, so fix your broken HDR!

Also, with the custom firmware, you will no longer need the slow copy to a USB drive as you will be able to use FTP instead to transfer your recording. You will not exven have to run Linux on your PC! (Use Filezilla.)

Oh, and *nix/Linux is far more common than you assume, running on set top boxes, file servers, TVs, phones, tablets, web servers, ... It's only PCs that mostly use Windoze.

Your Ext3 drive should have been recognized, if it was formatted correctly.

I appreciate the confidence Mike, so if it doesn't work after a reflash ypu will come round and fix it ? :)
Box isn't broken just original software, probably not the best but it works.
I know someone who switched to Linux so may ask him to format the drive.

If you are in Sheffield, sure.

This is standard firmware extended to give extra functionality. Nothing to be afraid of. Loads of us have installed it and the mechanism is just like the way you install firmware from Humax. (Just don't turn the power off half way!)

It is well worth installing as you get a web interface to manage your HDR T2, plus the ability to download files rapidly via FTP or the interface. What is not to like?

Still don't think so, mine is a standad HDR and not a T2 (which I think is a newer one ?) and is why I am unsure as I have no idea what I am doing. Ok for those who understand such things and know what the results should be but all smoke and mirrors to me.
I may try a Humax update to latest for this box as that should be ok.

Still don't think so, mine is a standad HDR and not a T2 (which I think is a newer one ?) and is why I am unsure as I have no idea what I am doing. Ok for those who understand such things and know what the results should be but all smoke and mirrors to me.
I may try a Humax update to latest for this box as that should be ok.

Sorry T2 was a mistake. I meant Foxsat HDR of course. You download the firmware, stick it on a usb drive plug that into the HDR and reboot. Nothing complicated.

http://myhumax.org/blog/?page_id=166

Back