Copy not working into Virtual Drive

britespark

I have installed CF on to my HD-Fox T2 and followed instructions in various wiki and other posts on how to get decrypted file into the Virtual folder but despite the screen saying that it has listed the file for copying, it never gets copied into my virtual folder.

Could this be as a result of a problem with the custom firmware installation, or have I missed doing some additional configuration before trying to do the copying. Incidentally, I have tried both SD and HD files with the same result.

If it could be an installation issue, will reinstalling the latest combined custom firmware resolve the issue?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

You had better talk us through exactly what you have done so far. Installed the CF, installed the virtual-disk package, set up Boot HDR Mode, booted into HDR Mode, select recording on Media menu, select Move/Copy on OPT+ menu! select the virtual drive on the USB list...

The key thing is to be booted into HDR mode when you copy the file with the remote control. In any case, you don't need to install virtual drive for decryption. Recordings are saved in '/drive1/video' as standard. Booting into HDR mode maps the video folder as '/media/My Video' on a simulated internal disk drive (HDD) but you also see 'drive1' and its contents as a USB drive too. I have a folder in 'drive1' called 'recordings'. In HDR mode, I copy from the 'My Video' folder on the simulated HDD to '/drive1/recordings'. As the system thinks it is copying from the HDD to a USB drive, the file is decrypted in the process.

You had better talk us through exactly what you have done so far. Installed the CF, installed the virtual-disk package, set up Boot HDR Mode, booted into HDR Mode, select recording on Media menu, select Move/Copy on OPT+ menu! select the virtual drive on the USB list...

Followed steps as you listed above, although your reference to "set up Boot HDR Mode" I'm not sure what you mean. I have only "installed" the boot HDR mode but not configured anything - is that the issue? If so what do I need to do to setup and configure?

One thing I have just noticed when looking at the files using Dolphin File manager (in PCLinuxOS), the network share is shown as Humax (Samba HDR-Fox-T2), rather than HD-Fox-T2. Could this indicate that the system has the wrong configuration setup by default?

I have just updated to your latest release "HD_FOX_T2_1.03.02_mod_3.03.zip" to see if this would make things work, but no joy. On the network, the id is also still shown as Humax (Samba HDR-Fox-T2) in the Dolphin File manager. Should I try again by using the "System Flush Update File" first then reinstall the latest CF firmware?

Before posting this, I also tried MontysEvilTwin suggestion but nothing has copied into this "Recordings" folder.

Installing the BootHDR package is not enough, you have to temporarily run the HDR-FOX software on the HD-FOX to make it work. There should be a folder called '*Modsettings'. In this folder is a folder called 'TriggerHDR'. It you cut and paste the 'TriggerHDR' folder to the root of drive1 the box will reboot into HDR mode. Note that the front panel display will freeze in this mode and the box will be incapable of making new recordings until it is back in standard mode. In HDR mode you can then decrypt your recordings. You have to copy from the simulated HDD to a folder on the USB drive (it will say copy rather than move next to the red button icon) using the remote control. When you are done, reboot to return to normal HD mode.

Installing the BootHDR package is not enough, you have to temporarily run the HDR-FOX software on the HD-FOX to make it work. There should be a folder called '*Modsettings'. In this folder is a folder called 'TriggerHDR'. It you cut and paste the 'TriggerHDR' folder to the root of drive1 the box will reboot into HDR mode. Note that the front panel display will freeze in this mode and the box will be incapable of making new recordings until it is back in standard mode. In HDR mode you can then decrypt your recordings. You have to copy from the simulated HDD to a folder on the USB drive (it will say copy rather than move next to the red button icon) using the remote control. When you are done, reboot to return to normal HD mode.

That is the EXACT way I have tried to do this ~ however, in my system the Trigger-HDRMode is in a folder labelled "MODSE~V8". In that folder there is also another folder labelled "MOVET~~U". I have copied the Trigger folder to drive1 and clicked on that to temporarily enter HDRMode which then operates the Humax and turns the top right of the Humax screen to a GREEN icon after pressing the Media button on the remote. The screen is under "My Video". I then select the file I want to copy and press Opt+ button, press the Move/Copy entry button which then gives two options ~ drive1 or virtual. Moving cursor to either of these folders changes the red button to read "COPY" which when pressed reads "The file has been added for copy". After that, I have tried two ways to reboot ~ 1) by putting the Humax box into standby by pressing the top right button on the remote and 2) by the browser using the Diag Menu and then choosing "Reboot System" which then brings up another menu from which to select "Restart the Humax Now". This then restarts the Humax box in the normal mode and then returns the computer screen to the webif page. When I then look at the folders in the browser, no files have been copied. So what is going wrong?

Your method sounds correct. The way you describe the '*Modsettings' folder titles is how they might look from a remote device (file browser on a tablet or PC). On the TV screen (Humax UI) or Web-If you should see the full folder name.
How long are you allowing for the copy? When you start copying, in 'Media' you should see a white rotating star and 'copying' on the right hand side of the screen. This will disappear after a few seconds when you exit back to TV, but if you press the media button it will appear again until the copying is complete: this could take some time. Don't boot back to HD mode until copying is finished. If you monitor the destination folder with a file browser (e.g. ES File Explorer on Android) you should see the files appear and grow as the copying proceeds.

The file names are being displayed without 'Long file names' e.g. abcdefghij would be displayed as abcdef~1 because the name is being limited to 8 characters

Last edited:
The white star and recording shows for at most 2-seconds and then disappears. Exit back to TV and then pressing the media button does NOT bring that message up again ~ seems like its going into the "ether"!!!! Have left the TV in the HDRmode. Now looking on the files over the computer network, nothing has as yet shown up in the virtual drive.

It sounds like you are doing everything right so I am wondering if something went awry with the initial bootHDR installation. I recommend uninstalling bootHDR completely (instructions here) and reinstalling from scratch. While you are at it, if you download the latest HDR-FOX software from here and use the unzipped HDF file during the bootHDR installation, you will get the latest version of HDR-FOX software when in HDR mode on the HD-FOX. This will allow you to download and save iPlayer programmes too.

Last edited:
MET, thanks for your last message. I have tried to follow your linked instructions. I had never seen the detail in using the Web-If by clicking on the first "slash" to reveal other folders/files. I had always used the Dolphin File Manager through samba network connection to modify files etc.

However, using the Web-If interface and clicking on the first slash and then mod there is no old update file shown, but more importantly, I can't find a way to copy the new update file into this folder. The only options available to me are "New Folder" or "De-duplicate/tidy this folder". The File Clipboard is empty but right clicking does not bring up an option to paste into the clipboard or the folder direct.

The only way I seem to be able to copy/paste is by using the Dolphin File Manager. There is a mod folder showing under the Drive1 folder but I don't think this is the correct place to paste the update file to. Could you clarify please?

Not sure if your problem lies somewhere with bootHDR - I'm just learning here but I have found something today that finally made bootHDR work on my HD Fox T2

- I installed bootHDR from the Package manager on the Web interface and verified it was installed.
- Then as per instructions used telnet to run the "bootHDRmode" instruction
- Or I should say - try to - as it reported that there was no such package or something.
- So I then ran the "opkg install BootHDR" command via telnet
- Then and only then did "bootHDRmode" work

So it is NOT enough to install bootHDR via the web interface, you have to do the installation via telnet - or at least it was not enough for me!

So - Don't know if this will help this specific case, but it may help others.

MET, thanks for your last message. I have tried to follow your linked instructions. I had never seen the detail in using the Web-If by clicking on the first "slash" to reveal other folders/files. I had always used the Dolphin File Manager through samba network connection to modify files etc.

However, using the Web-If interface and clicking on the first slash and then mod there is no old update file shown, but more importantly, I can't find a way to copy the new update file into this folder. The only options available to me are "New Folder" or "De-duplicate/tidy this folder". The File Clipboard is empty but right clicking does not bring up an option to paste into the clipboard or the folder direct.

The only way I seem to be able to copy/paste is by using the Dolphin File Manager. There is a mod folder showing under the Drive1 folder but I don't think this is the correct place to paste the update file to. Could you clarify please?
Clicking on the '/' in Web-If is useful for deleting the HDRfs folder as I think this is only possible with root access.
You will only have the update file in the '/mod' folder if you put it in there yourself. The instructions cover several eventualities: the bootHDR install script needs to construct the HDR-FOX filesystem folder. First it looks for the existence of the 'HDRfs' folder in the '/mod' folder: this might be present from a previous installation of bootHDR. If it finds it it reuses it. If not it next looks for the update file (HDF) in the '/mod' folder and extracts what it needs. If this file is not present it downloads a copy from the internet, but it will download 1.02.20 firmware by default: this version has no functioning iPlayer.
You are right that you can't see or copy the update file into the '/mod' folder using the Web-If file browser. Try your usual method. On the HD-FOX, the '/mod' folder is under 'drive1' so you are looking in the right place.

Not sure if your problem lies somewhere with bootHDR - I'm just learning here but I have found something today that finally made bootHDR work on my HD Fox T2

- I installed bootHDR from the Package manager on the Web interface and verified it was installed.
- Then as per instructions used telnet to run the "bootHDRmode" instruction
- Or I should say - try to - as it reported that there was no such package or something.
- So I then ran the "opkg install BootHDR" command via telnet
- Then and only then did "bootHDRmode" work

So it is NOT enough to install bootHDR via the web interface, you have to do the installation via telnet - or at least it was not enough for me!

So - Don't know if this will help this specific case, but it may help others.
Depending on the platform and browser, when you install the bootHDR package from Web-If>Package Management it can sometimes appear to hang and it is not always clear whether or not it has installed correctly, but it probably has. The Telnet method (command line 'opkg install') method is preferred, by me anyway, as you can tell exactly what has happened. If you get the syntax wrong or misspell the package name (case sensitive) it will fail. Once you have installed bootHDR you have to boot the box into HDR mode either by moving the 'trigger' folder to the root of 'drive1' with the remote or Web-If or by using Telnet to run the script by typing 'bootHDRmode' at the command line.

I'm thinking file system error. The 8.3 file names suggest to me that the USB drive isn't initialised properly. All manner of misery will result if the full range of file properties are not being enforced in the system.

I have never been able to make the 'Trigger' method work and have in the past used Telnet 'bootHDRmode'. That method no longer works for me.

Coincidently I loaded C/F on to my HD-FOX T2 for the first time this weekend. Apart from a couple of minor user errors all went fine. I used the latest 1.3.02 mod 3.03(, all though I really wanted 1.02.20 I though that for a first try I'd go with the flow).
The 'bootHDRmode' trigger method can still work. It works fine for me, once I realised that I did not have to manually reboot as the black screen displayed for a second is the HD-FOX T2 starting to reboot, and you don't get a Humax start-up flash screen.

I'm thinking file system error. The 8.3 file names suggest to me that the USB drive isn't initialised properly. All manner of misery will result if the full range of file properties are not being enforced in the system.

I think it's more likely to be an issue with Dolphin file manager or PCLinuxOS than a file system error.

Edit: How is this drive formatted?

8.3 tends to imply fat compatability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.3_filename

Last edited:
I hadn't read the bit about Dolphin until later. The copying of the trigger is supposed to work using the SUI, and if that was showing 8.3 file names there really would be a problem.

8.3 file names can result from using a file manager which is not fully compatible with SMB. Manipulating anything with that is likely to corrupt the file properties.

Back