Copy protected HD ITV movie

Saw the comment about Telnet, but what little expertise I have tends to be on windows OS, so such a comment goes over my head.
Telnet is cross-platform.
I would imagine I needed to open this telnet dialogue from a browseer again
No, it's a separate program. Type "telnet 192.168.0.1" in the Run box (substituting the correct IP address for your device and without the quotes).
Or open a Command Prompt and do the same.
It might help if you said which version of Windows you had. It might help if you said which version(s) of firmware you have flashed. You don't really give any detail to enable anyone to help you.

I'll have a go then.
In the windows search box, type 'cmd'. at the top of the program list you should have cmd.exe
Right click it and run as administrator. OK the UAC box (admin possibly not necessary)
A black window will open with a prompt C:\WINDOWS\system32
Type telnet 192.168.0.200 and hit return (substitute your boxe's IP address)
If you get an error banging on about telnet is not recognised, Google how to enable telnet on your Windows machine. (It's included, but not enabled by default. It might be in W10, but I'm not certain)
You should get a prompt that says Enter system pin: Type '0000' then hit return
You will then get the Telnet menu.
Type 'passwd' and hit return and then type 'y' and hit return to confirm the question about are you sure etc.
Type 'x' and hit return to exit telnet.
At the 'system32' command prompt, type 'exit and hit return to close the command box.
You should now be able to get into the WebIF.

Thanks for all the guidance, suggestions and pointers. Clearly my problem accessing webif has not a simple resolution and finding out about Telnet is a sledgehammer to crack a nut for me.
This is where I am up to.
1) Latest CF installed a number of times - all as per hummy.tv instructions. (perhaps in the vain hope something blocking webif would clear - obviously not)
2) Webif installed, though mention of download failures noted at bottom of list. Webif not accessible by entering Humax ip address in ANY browser. No ftp:// prefix added by browsers. - It requests username and password.
I have no record in my original installation notes of setting anything, so I`m unsure what causes this.
3) At the start of my journey to copy Back To The Future, it had "ENC" and the dvd with red cross symbol in its media listing. many other HD files had the "ENC", but none had the disc protection one.
4) During my playing around to access webif to load the un-protect package (which I definitely haven`t installed), I noticed ALL "ENC" markers AND the DVD with red cross have disappeared from the files list.
5) Now, using simple drag and drop of the files onto my desktop pc, I had been able to copy Back to The Future, together with any other known, but not flagged HD files onto the pc and play them back with full lip sync sound.
I have no idea why I had the problems, nor why things now seem to be working as I wanted them in the first place, but they seem to be.
The only thing still to do is make another HD recording and see if/how the "ENC" notice can be made to disappear before copying to the pc for checking.
Thanks again.
Goodbye
Briag

Back again. The proverbial bad smell!!
Whilst writing my last reply, I had not seen your post Trev.
After posting I gave it a try and it worked. A senile idiot passes sincere thanks.
It would not run from within chrome, but no problem in Firefox.
Interestingly, and perhaps the answer to my query as to how all the encryption had taken place, the package list includes un-protect, so my presumption that I needed to manually download it was incorrect - perhaps I misread the installation instructions on hummy.tv.
Thanks again one and all, but especially Trev
I can now go and explore further.
Briang

Oh for christ sake - it's easy enough to find: http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet
And oh for Christ sake back. (and I believe that he deserves a capital letter) None of that tells anyone how to run the passwd thingy. In fact all it does tell you is to install Putty.

Glad I could help Brian, and all done without any links at stuff that don't tell you how to do it.
It would not run from within chrome, but no problem in Firefox.
That surprises me as I tested it in Chrome just before I posted.

Last edited:
Yes I know, but the OP needed to clear his password and how to do that was not in the link that you posted and would have taken ages to find specific instructions for a newbie at that sort of stuff. The link was almost irrelevant to what the OP needed to do. Yes, the info is likely in the WiKi or Things Every (which are absolutely great), but would take absolutely ages to find and interpret. My 'instructions' too k me about 2 mins to confirm, about 5 mins to type up and told the OP exactly what he needed to do to fix his problem.
I challenge you to find the equivalent in the quoted sources. And time yourself to see how long it takes, bearing in mind that you are familiar with the aforementioned sources and can probably have a pretty accurate guess at the search terms necessary.

I chose to take 10 mins of my time to try to help the OP by checking out and writing a quick guide that worked for him, and all you do is slag that off and point to a 'solution', that at best would have had the OP unnecessarily installing PUTTY when all he needed is, at worst, to enable the Windows Telnet client, and does not tell him how to use it to fix his problem.
Who'es post was most helpful do you think?

There, that's wasted another half hour of my life.:)

Last edited:
I can tell you whose post was the most helpful, since I am the one who hadn`t a clue and needed some helpful direction. Thanks again Trev.
I`m sure there are things each of us knows like the backs of our hands, but to others it might as well be directions written in an unknown foreign language.
Even being told where to look does not in itself impart an understanding of the words written.
Everbody has strengths and weaknesses.
The real benefit in such forums such as this is that they are generally populated by people who understand others difficulties - perhaps because at some time in the past they needed the help.
A great forum.
Briang

My point is that it is inefficient and error prone to duplicate information rather than refer a reader to the original. Even quoting it doesn't work very well, as the quotation won't track any subsequent corrections in the original material. That's why I constantly refer readers to Things Every or whatever.

If there are inadequacies in the original, it is better to deal with them than to create a new work.

Then perhaps your bit on telnet could actually tell people how to enable it in Windows and perhaps a simple guide on how to us it WRT the Humax. Perhaps even include a list of the Hummy commands with an explanation of each, that is unless that aspect is covered somewhere else.

I am also a believer in not re-inventing the wheel, as long as it has been already invented and it fits the current circumstances. The reason that I reacted the way I did to your post #23 is that the answer to BG's question is not easy to find especially if one is not conversant with command line type inputs etc. and are not exactly certain of what you should be looking for. A search for 'passwd' gets 39 hits, none of which that I could find explain how to run telnet and reset the password, which was after all, BG's problem.

I see that you have not yet risen to my challenge to find where exactly is is written 'all in the wiki, and/or previous posts/topics'.

The item about Telnet in the wiki explains how to enable Telnet by installing PuTTY. The Windows client is not universally available, and even it it were it's not the friendliest of clients to use.

Wiki >> Help >> FAQs >> 13 How do I reset my Web-If Password

...or google "site:hummy.tv webif password" and click the top result.

However, I agree there lacks a general walk-through of the Telnet menu options, but on the other hand it's been through a few revisions and is now pretty self-explanatory.

The item about Telnet in the wiki explains how to enable Telnet by installing PuTTY.
Putty is ludicrous overkill and quite daunting for those unfamiliar with such things when all you want is casual use of a Telnet client.
The Windows client is not universally available, and even it it were it's not the friendliest of clients to use.
I've never known it either not available or simply installed through Windows Setup. And I don't think it's any less friendly than Putty. It's certainly less daunting.

I totally agree. I installed putty following the wiki, had lots of problems getting to grips with it. Enabled Windows Telnet client, job done 3 mins later.

I use Putty at work because I have complex requirements writing and compiling C code on a command line Linux platform. Amongst other things, telnet protocol is not allowed (security), we have to use encrypted ssh which Windows command line telnet does not support.

But at home I use Windows built in telnet, it does everything I need to login in to my HDR Fox T2. I know exactly how to install and use Putty, but why bother? It's a sledgehammer to crack a walnut for this use case.

I don't understand why the wiki risks confusing people explaining how to install Putty, when what they need is an explanation of how to use the custom firmware telnet interface. (And enable Windows telnet if it's not enabled.)

Partly because it's harder to change newline sequence with Windows Telnet and it defaults to line rather than character mode in some versions. Those problems aren't present with newer firmware as xyz321 has worked around them in the Telnet server code.

Partly because it's harder to change newline sequence with Windows Telnet and it defaults to line rather than character mode in some versions. Those problems aren't present with newer firmware as xyz321 has worked around them in the Telnet server code.

So are you saying there used to be good reasons to use Putty for the HDR Fox T2 but they no longer apply?

This issue was fixed in CF 2.14, nearly 5 years ago.

Perhaps it is now time to simplify the documentation to remove the references to setting up line endings. I would hope that everyone is now running 2.14 or later. If not they could be asked to upgrade before doing anything else.

Last edited:
This issue was fixed in CF 2.14, nearly 5 years ago.

Perhaps it is now time to simplify the documentation to remove the references to setting up line endings. I would hope that everyone is now running 2.14 or later. If not they could be asked to upgrade before doing anything else.

I'm not at all convinced I ever ran CF earlier than that. It's definitely around the time I stated with CF.

I can't see any reason the wiki needs to continue to support CF that old. As you say, the first step should be to upgrade if anyone is running anything that old.

Back