Copy via USB???

Sorcerer13

Hi...
I have an FVP-5000T and am waiting for a 2TB Aura to be delivered.
I'm happy with th FVP, but it's playing up from time to time, so it's time for a replacement before it gives up the ghost completely!
I have some recorded programmes on the FVP which I'd like to copy to the new Aura (when it arrives), but looking around on the internet it looks like this is either impossible (due to security software) or very awkward involving copying from the FVP to either USB or a Windows PC (I have Windows 11) then back from the PC/USB to the Aura.
I've already downloaded the manual for the Aura, but although it mentions the USB port, there are no instructions on how to use it.
Can ayone offer any help or advice?

I've already downloaded the manual for the Aura, but although it mentions the USB port, there are no instructions on how to use it.
Can ayone offer any help or advice?
Plug in a USB hard drive or memory stick with recordings on, install VLC on the Aura and that will play the recordings provided you have removed the encryption.

Install VLC on the Aura?
Admittedly I haven't got it yet, but I assume from the manual that so long as I have a Google account I can download and install VLC on the Humax.
I seem to remember that when I copied my recordings to my PC, the removal of encryption was mentioned, so presumably the new Aura will play unencrypted 'mpeg' recordings via an invocation of the VLC application, but only from an USB, and that such recordings cannot be transferred to the Aura's hard drive?

Install VLC on the Aura?
The Aura is an Android device, so you can do similar things as you can on a tablet or phone... in this case install a media player. I don't know that you necessarily need a Google account, the same as you don't on a phone just to get to the Play Store.

Admittedly I haven't got it yet, but I assume from the manual that so long as I have a Google account I can download and install VLC on the Humax.
I certainly had no problem downloading and installing VLC using the Aura.
I seem to remember that when I copied my recordings to my PC, the removal of encryption was mentioned, so presumably the new Aura will play unencrypted 'mpeg' recordings via an invocation of the VLC application, but only from an USB, and that such recordings cannot be transferred to the Aura's hard drive?
Correct. I am not aware of a way to transfer recordings onto the Aura hard drive but there may be a way that I haven't found.

Maybe install a file manager app such as File Explorer? Of course, Humax might have made sure there are no such apps in its version of the Play Store...

So, if you turn on Network Server on the FVP and on the Windows PC use Explorer to access the networked FVP, you can upload the programmes to the PC.
That gets the programmes 'secured'.
To view the programmes on a different Humax box, copy however many of the programmes you want to view as will fit within the capacity of an USB drive from your PC to the USB.
The USB drive can then be plugged into the receiving device in order to view the programmes, but there is no facility to store these programmes on the receiving box's hard drive.
Seems a bit sill that whilst there is a way to preserve and view programmes that you have legal copies of, it is neither obvious or convenient.
Had Humax enabled a function to copy from box 1 to box 2 via the USB port life (and upgrades) would have been a lot simpler!

Seems a bit sill that whilst there is a way to preserve and view programmes that you have legal copies of, it is neither obvious or convenient.
Had Humax enabled a function to copy from box 1 to box 2 via the USB port life (and upgrades) would have been a lot simpler!
I'm not sure that is strictly true. I think we are allowed to keep temporary copies for personal consumption within a small timescale. They want to restrict the consumer access to the copies in case we share them etc (or keep them for prolonged periods of time).

Still seems silly.
All I'm trying to do is move programmes I've legally recorded from one box I own to another box I own (or soon will).
The concept of piracy may seem to be obvious, and is probably outside the scope of this forum, but as an example I record programmes, and my wife watches them. Is this an act of piracy if she watches them when I'm not with her?

All I'm trying to do is move programmes I've legally recorded from one box I own to another box I own
As bottletop says, that's not how it works. In fact as far as broadcast TV is concerned you don't actually have any legal right to record stuff at all afaiui. The broadcasters and/or other rights holders have given limited dispensations to allow time shifting. Manipulation of the files beyond that is almost certainly infringement, though unless you start doing obviously silly things like torrenting them you are unlikely to be pursued.

But that does mean the likes of Humax have to be careful with regard to what functions they allow. Hence (probably) the clamping of security following the hacking of the HDR FOX that allows the custom firmware to exist.

But that does mean the likes of Humax have to be careful with regard to what functions they allow. Hence (probably) the clamping of security following the hacking of the HDR FOX that allows the custom firmware to exist.
In some ways the Aura is less restricted than the HDR-FOX T2 eg the ability to rapidly download unencrypted SD content

It's all bollocks. The stuff is transmitted over the air in the clear. Anyone can record transport streams on any capable receiver device without any encryption. I paid less than £7 for the DVB-T hat to go on my R-Pi. The likes of Humax etc. are severaly deluded if they think what they do makes like difficult for anyone but themselves and their customers.

It's all bollocks. The stuff is transmitted over the air in the clear. Anyone can record transport streams on any capable receiver device without any encryption. I paid less than £7 for the DVB-T hat to go on my R-Pi. The likes of Humax etc. are severaly deluded if they think what they do makes like difficult for anyone but themselves and their customers.
The programmes are are transmitted unencrypted but the 7-day epg is scrambled and AFAIK it is the licence to legally gain access to the epg keys and use the Freeview logo that imposes the restriction on commercial PVR manufactures requiring them to restrict access to HD recordings.

The epg access keys have long been broken but commercial companies still need to obey the rules and not use backdoors.

It's all bollocks. The stuff is transmitted over the air in the clear. Anyone can record transport streams on any capable receiver device without any encryption.
Quite so, but it doesn't confer any rights to do as you please - the IP holders still have them.
It's rather like finding a £10 note on the ground. Picking it up does not make you the legal owner and in theory you should hand it in in case the actual owner reports it missing.

The likes of Humax etc. are severaly deluded if they think what they do makes like difficult for anyone but themselves and their customers.
I'm sure they would be happy to have an open system. But I expect they have to negotiate rights for use of epgs, HD/HDMI keys, etc for licensing and these restrictions are probably some of the strings attached to that by Freeview/Freesat/IP holders.

Yes, what you say is all true. But trying to secure a door when there is an open window right next to it is rather pointless. It's the people pulling the manufacturers' strings who need to learn this.

I think we're fortunate they don't take a harder line and apply content access management to the whole digital chain. They could, and I predicted they would, when DSO made it possible, and they still might - especially if everything goes Internet.

Albeit there is an open window, they can't be seen to encourage the general public through an open door.

Back