Copying between USB drives

catnap

I have the customised firmware installed. I have been archiving recordings to an external USB drive formatted on the Humax HDR and am just about to run out of space on it. I have another USB drive formatted as NTFS on a Mac (using paragon). I have been ripping some of my DVDs to this second drive and have also archived some recordings to it from the Humax.

For various, not important, reasons I would like to reorganise some of the content (all decrypted where necessary) between the 2 external drives. My Mac won't recognise the first one, presumably because it was formatted by the Humax, so I can't move content that way. It looks like filezilla will do the job, but I'm not sure about what to do with all the additional files I see with the Humax content. So I thought the simplest solution would be to connect both drives to the Humax and use the "opt" Copy/Move functionality. Both drives show up with all their content. I can copy to either of them from the Humax HD, but I can't seem to copy between them. If I select a file on either of the external drives, then Copy/Move and the folder on the other drive to which I want to copy I get a "the file has been added for move" message, but then nothing happens.

Have I missed something or am I just trying to do something that is not supported?

There is another solution as I can copy from either drive back to the Humax HD then from there to the other drive. A bit laborious but quite workable.

If you install the EXT2FS driver on your PC you will be able to read and write directly to the EXT3 filesystem drive that you formatted on the HDR FOX T2 using Windows Explorer. (You have to enable write mode after installation)

http://www.ext2fsd.com/

If you install the EXT2FS driver on your PC you will be able to read and write directly to the EXT3 filesystem drive that you formatted on the HDR FOX T2 using Windows Explorer. (You have to enable write mode after installation)
Thanks, but can this work on a Mac?

It looks like filezilla will do the job, but I'm not sure about what to do with all the additional files I see with the Humax content.
You need them all. The complete file set for a recording is .ts, .thm, .hmt, .nts.

I can copy to either of them from the Humax HD, but I can't seem to copy between them.
Correct.

If you install the Samba package, the Humax (and attached drives - this doesn't work with NFS) should show up as network storage on your Mac, then you can use a normal file manager. Plug the NTFS drive into the Mac and use the Humax to host the Ext3 drive.

You need them all. The complete file set for a recording is .ts, .thm, .hmt, .nts.

Correct.

If you install the Samba package, the Humax (and attached drives - this doesn't work with NFS) should show up as network storage on your Mac, then you can use a normal file manager. Plug the NTFS drive into the Mac and use the Humax to host the Ext3 drive.
Thanks for the information and direction B H. I've also done a little more research on grahamlthompson's suggestion. I don't think the particular driver he mentions will work on a mac, but I have seen that Paragon EXTfs for mac claims to do similar. I have downloaded a 10 day trial version of that and will now experiment with various options. I'm supposed to be painting the garage doors today - can't see that getting done....

I can copy to either of them from the Humax HD, but I can't seem to copy between them. If I select a file on either of the external drives, then Copy/Move and the folder on the other drive to which I want to copy I get a "the file has been added for move" message, but then nothing happens.
Thats strange. It works for me.

fuse-ext2 also works on the Mac.
Thanks for that sooty. I tried some files with Paragon EXTfs and they seemed to work fine. It seems that if I hadn't formatted the first drive as ext fs3 life would be simpler. Also I'm not sure about paying out £25 once the trial finishes. So my new plan is:

I will copy the entire contents of the Ext fs 3 formatted drive to the NTFS formatted drive (which has enough capacity). I will then reformat the Ext fs 3 drive to NTFS and selectively copy back anything I would prefer to keep separately on that. Can anyone see any downside in that (apart from the fact that the first step will take a few hours giving time to paint the wretched doors)?

Just to make sure that it still works I tried it again today:

(1) From 1TB FAT32 HDD to 128GB FAT32 flash
(2) From 1TB ext3 HDD (formated by an HD-FOX-T2) to 128GB FAT32 flash
(3) From 128GB FAT32 flash to 1TB ext3 HDD (formated by an HD-FOX-T2)

The flash drive was connected by the back port in all instancies.

Last year Im 99% certain that I also copied USB ext3 (formated on a PC) to USB ext3 (formated by an HD-FOX-T2).

The HDR-FOX-T2 software is 1.02.20. I don't think I used USB to USB when I had 1.03.06 installed.

Forgive me if I am asking a silly question, but do you have the NTFS-3g package installed? Also, how are the two drives connected to the Hummy, one in each USB port, or both connected to the same USB hub? If the latter, try connecting to different ports.

I have NTFS-3g installed and was using both ports rather than a hub. As explained I had no problem with either drive copying either way between it and the Humax internal drive. It may be significant that transfers between either USB drive and the Humax prompted the message "the file has been added for copying" whereas if I tried to do the same between the USB drives the message was "the file has been added for move" (with no actual activity). Its become a little academic now as I have reformatted the ext3 to NTFS and am now copying between the 2 USB drives connected to my Mac without difficulty.

The message 'file added for move' suggests that the system was treating the process as if the files were being moved from one folder to another within the same drive, rather than copying to a different drive. Good that you have a work around. If you did want to copy from one drive to the other whilst connected to the Hummy, you could do it using Web-If.

Back