Copying HD files to USB

I have CF 4.1.1. I have the browser software. I have no idea how to get a load of HD recordings from the Humax to my PC (so that I can put them on DVDs after formatting and editing). I have fiddled about with the files via my home network (wireless) and with copying to a USB stick. This has consumed many hours today, and now I need an idiot's guide. Please.

Regards,
The Idiot

I don't have a Foxsat, but if you read around a bit you will find the only way to get decrypted HiDef recordings (StDef are already decrypted) is to record them unencrypted in the first place. This is achieved by either installing "nowster's patch" or by setting the Foxsat to non-Freesat mode. StDef recordings are not encrypted.

I don't have a Foxsat, but if you read around a bit you will find the only way to get decrypted HiDef recordings (StDef are already decrypted) is to record them unencrypted in the first place. This is achieved by either installing "nowster's patch" or by setting the Foxsat to non-Freesat mode. StDef recordings are not encrypted.

Ah, thank you. I had been vaguely under that impression at one time, but I lost my way among the posts. I usually don't have a need to copy files, so HD/SD doesn't matter to me, but my wife, who uses a YouView box in another room, wants me to put a particular series recorded in HD onto DVD. Tough!

To record HD without encryption on a Foxsat-HDR without Nowsters patch and the Custom Firmware, you have to enter non-freesat mode and reboot the box (boot into non-freesat mode). Only manual recording starts are available, you have some options to control recording time by pressing the recording button a second time.

Not true, the higher bitrate of the original H264 transmission and a good mpeg2 encoder based PC software encoder that is capable of vbr dual pass analysis (not in real time and assuming you want the smallest file size), will produce a much higher quality DVD transfer than is possible from the SD transmission. Basically start from a higher quality original, the downscaled and re-compressed content is bound to be superior.

Anyone with a DVDR will confirm that recorded SD content from a HD channel is superior to that recorded from the SD equivalent assuming that RGB was used.

Yes I guess you're right. Thinking from another direction, DVD = 4.7GB / 70 mins, which is much more like HiDef data rate than StDef data rate.

Back