Copying media files to Humax. File names get truncated.

Wattkins

As a recent purchaser of a new Humax HDR Fox T2 I was wondering if I am the only person to experience this issue. I have tried to search for an answer and even contacted Humax support who didn’t give me an answer one way or another.

The problem I have is that I use a USB stick that has been formatted to a Fat32 file system to copy media files (both AVI and MP3) from a PC to the Humax.

The files have long file names PC and when they are copied to the USB stick they still maintain the long file name. However the problem is when I copy those files to the Humax as soon as I put the USB stick into the Humax player and view the files on it, the T2 truncates the files to an 8.3 format.

If I move or copy them off of the USB stick onto the T2 it keeps the truncated file name, although I can rename it on the Humax to its longer format manually.

I have tried a different USB stick and the same thing remains.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is this a bug?

Any advice is most welcome.

I've never had a problem transferring files with long names via USB. It sounds like the Humax is choosing to mount the drive with an older filesystem driver.

I would remove all the partitions from the stick on a Windows box then create a new one and format it FAT32 again. Hopefully that will improve things. I'm suspecting that the type flag in the partition table is wrong.

Back