Copying programmes

Archie

Is it possible to copy via the network (e.g. one FOX to another)? If not, does the CF have this feature?

If not directly, could it be done via FTP?

Is there any method to copy HD programmes without them being scrambled or does that require the CF?

Not using the standard controls, but there are all manner of possibilities once you have the custom software running.

You could use FTP, but the transfer would be slow because the copy would go via your PC. There is another protocol I have yet to find out about (FXP) which might make the PC command Box A to copy directly to Box B, but all files would be encrypted and useless on a second box (StDef included) unless you take measures to decrypt them first.

This ground is well trodden. Please refer to NEW READERS START HERE, particularly Black Hole's Trail Guide.

Thinking again, what do you actually want to do?

If your aim is to have two Humax boxes for viewing in different rooms and sharing content, all you need to do is hook them up to the same network and they will be able to access recordings from each other, even HiDef, no worries about encryption. Unfortunately there is a 4GB file size limit bug at the moment (but the custom software has ways around that)!

Just exploring possibilities. Yes, I have two boxes and I can view them over the network. It might sometimes be useful to move programmes between machines but that hits the encryption problems.

Whats the 4GB file size limit bug and roughly how long a programme would take it over the limit? I assume this problem only affects streaming?

Back