Copying recorded tv files from HDR Fox T2 to FVP-5000T

Have you actually read anything I've referred you to, or anything I've written in this thread?? You need to do the whole installation procedure as given in the Custom Firmware Guide, and some configuring thereafter. See post 11:
No. The raw CF install is just a framework upon which to hang the specific facilities you require in the form of installable packages. You will need to do some configuring for your own circumstances, in particular installing the ntfs3g package (for NTFS write capability). For your HiDef recordings, you need to install the auto-unprotect package and allow time for it to do its work (that does not decrypt, but it then allows for HiDef content to be decrypted on transfer to USB the same as StDef). All the instructions are available in the linked references.

Note that you must then use the Humax on-screen menus to do the file copy (in order for the decryption to occur). This applies to both StDef and HiDef recordings.

Please check the resources linked to from Things Every... (click) - in particular:

Recommended Packages and Settings

ntfs-3g

As standard, the HD/HDR-FOX can read USB drives formatted NTFS... but not write to them. This is inconvenient because (a) many drives come ready-formatted as NTFS these days (ready for Windows), and (b) the main alternative (for Windows PCs) is FAT32 - which cannot accommodate files larger than 4GiB (which isn't much, for video). There are other alternatives (see Things Every... [click] section 12), but the simple solution is the ntfs-3g package - which confers NTFS-write capability.​

Last edited:
Ok thanks for that info. Any chance you could you point to where I could find the ntfs3g patch?
Thanks

It's not a patch, it's a package. Please read the info I have already provided - it tells you everything you need to know. Have you, for example, logged in to your Humax from a web browser following installation of the .hdf file? No, you haven't. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! Do you really want me to type out what to do, when it is already there in black and white?

(I recommend you read this thread again, properly, from the top)

Last edited:
Hopefully this question won't drive you to distraction!
Firstly, 'yes' I have read your very useful articles about the T2 CFW and have been using the CFW almost since it's inception to great effect and this is also a question about transferring from a T2 to an FVP-500T

A few months ago my T2 started to behave erratically. Whilst watching a programme it would suddenly freeze and the only way out was a power down so any recording in progress got trashed.

Over the last few weeks, on boot, I got the Humax logo as usual but when it had apparently settled their was no video or audio. A few reboots solved this but the writing was on the wall and it's days were numbered.

Over the last few days I've persevered and once I had video to see what I was doing, I copied the recordings I wanted to keep to an external drive (NTFS) via the USB port. As I've come to expect the programmes and their sidecar files are on the external HDD.

I've now bought an FVP-500T to replace my T2 but here's the thing. When I look into the 'Recording' directory on the 500T I only see the MPEG programme files and no 'sidecar' files. Does the 500T have sidecar files associated with the programme files?

When I try to copy my recorded files from the external HDD to the 500T should I copy the sidecar files as well by 'drag and drop' via my laptop as I've always done in the past? Oh, BTW all the programmes files are decrypted, thanks to the CFW.

The HDR-FOX media browser never showed you the sidecar files, so don't expect the FVP-5000T to either. However...

If you had ever used the HDR-FOX to browse (compatible) video files that were not recorded using the HDR-FOX, you would have seen the file listed as a file name complete with the extension (.ts, .mp4, etc) whilst native recordings showed only the recording title. The reason for this is that the .hmt sidecar file contains information about the recording including the programme title, and the .hmt (if present) is interrogated and used to display the recording in the media list. If no .hmt is associated with the video file, the media list displays the file name. The HDR-FOX media browser only lists a video file if it has a recognised extension (although this does not necessarily mean the codecs within are compatible), and only associates sidecar files with .ts video files.

But: Different models of Humax PVR use different sidecar files. For example: the sidecar files from FOXSAT are incompatible with HDR-FOX, and if present will prevent the HDR-FOX playing a FOXSAT video file (or the other way around, can't remember off-hand). You can expect the FVP-5000T to at least ignore the HDR-FOX sidecar files, and therefore treat (decrypted) HDR-FOX recordings as naked .ts files.

Last edited:
Does the 500T have sidecar files associated with the programme files?
My understanding is that the 4000T/5000T does have sidecar files. The problem is that it doesn't have .hmt files but does have .hjm ones. IIRC nobody has made sense of these. The sidecar files are usually only visible if you ftp into the box. Although FOX .hmt files can be used on the 1800T/2000T (ie AV2HDR-T2 will produce a workable solution on a 2000T), I suspect BH is correct, you cannot make use of those files on a 5000T. "naked .ts" files or the mpeg equivalent is probably the way to go.

I'm obviously going to have to revisit the documentation as I appear to have been doing it wrong all these years!

To copy programmes from either my Foxsat or T2 I've been opening 'Network' from the 'Start' button and the devices listed under 'Computer(2)' would be the computer itself and which ever Humax box was currently powered up. I just double click on the one I want to copy files from and drill down to the Video directory. As you can see in the attachments I can see the program itself - the .ts file - and also the sidecar files associated with it.

I then open a suitable folder on my laptop and just drag and drop the files to it. Mostly this is to give a copy to a friend who has missed the program. I then copy the files onto a USB stick and reverse the procedure at the other end. Both my boxes are somewhat difficult to get to as I have limited movement and scrabbling around on my hands and knees is somewhat difficult and it's a real faff to plug the USB stick directly into the box.

If I want to edit the .ts file I use Video Redo and then upload them to the box I want the programme on using either of Raydon's excellent AV2HDR programmes for either the Foxsat or T2.

Unfortunately the 500T doesn't show up next to the Foxsat and my laptop under Network > Computer(X) but does show up under 'Start > This Computer > Network Locations' which I can open but as you say I can't see the sidecar files on the 500T hence my question. Confusing or what?

OS Windows 8.1 with 'Classic Shell' overlay.

Attachments

• Computer.PNG
    Computer.PNG
    67.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Innocent.PNG
    Innocent.PNG
    72.3 KB · Views: 8
Ah, well, you never said that's how you were looking:
When I look into the 'Recording' directory on the 500T I only see the MPEG programme files and no 'sidecar' files.
I assumed you were using the standard handset-and-onscreen-menus to view the folders.

To browse with the PC you are either using the DLNA access mechanism, FTP, or custom firmware SMB (provided by the samba package). If you can see the whole file set listed, that eliminates DLNA. Presumably you are able to only able access the FVP-5000T by its native provisions (no CF), so you are in the hands of whatever facility Humax have deemed to provide - and if they have locked it down so that it only shows certain things, that's what you have to put up with.

NB: as you seem to be looking for help specifically with the 5000T, you should be asking in the 5000T section of the forum (where you will find existing discussions about its capabilities).

Back