Copying Tuning From One HD/HDR-FOX to Another

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
The inspiration for this came from this discussion: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/humax-hdr-fox-t2-moved-from-uk-to-australia.5909/

I have three active HDR-FOXes and two HD-FOXes, plus another HDR-FOX in use elsewhere. I am also in range of three transmitters from two TV regions, so rather than risk the vagaries of an auto-tune I run the process manually, and one HDR-FOX plus the HD-FOXes are set to receive TV from the West region in general plus the local Wales channels for BBC1, BBC2, ITV - which are configured to LCN 801, 802, 803 (for info see HERE - click).

I also delete all the services I have no interest in (childrens/adult/text/gay/IPTV/shopping...), so as you might imagine, the process is rather more involved than a couple of clicks and I try not to do it very often (I was still watching BBC NEWS on LCN 80 until very recently!).

Prompted by the topic referenced above, I wondered whether it would be possible to replicated the tuning config from one machine onto another, and I have found that it is and does not require Customised Firmware to achieve it.
  1. Having configured the tuning of one HD/HDR-FOX to your liking, insert a UPD and then access the hidden service menu: Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information >> Red, Green, Yellow, Blue, Green, Yellow, Blue (for more information see Things Every... section 9). This UPD must be the only external storage connected, as there is no way to choose the target when copying. Select the option "Copy DB to USB" (DB = database).
  2. Connect the UPD to your computer and you will see three files saved to it by the process above: channel.db, rsv.db, and setup.db. Delete the rsv.db and setup.db files.
  3. On the destination machine, install the UPD (with no other storage connected) and access the hidden service menu. Use the option "Copy DB to Flash" to transfer the channel.db file from the UPD onto the machine.
  4. Reboot. On an HD-FOX there is a small button behind the front panel flap which resets the machine, on an HDR-FOX it is necessary to put it into standby, wait until the HDD spins down, and then start up again (turning off the power using the switch on the back, once the HDD has spun down, will make sure of it). The machine should now reboot with the new tuning copied from the source machine.
Note that the substitution of the channel.db file (thus duplicating the tuning config) will make a mess of your recording schedule, which should be noted down beforehand so that it can be reconstructed afterwards. Users of the CF can backup and restore the schedule via the WebIF schedule browser.

Update: by experiment it was found unnecessary to save the rsv.db and setup.db files for restoring to the machine. Previously the recommended procedure was to save the DB files, substitute the channel.db file, then copy them back to the machine.

Last edited:
Out of interest, at step two, what happens if you delete rsv.db and setup.db and then just try and copy channel.db to the second machine?

I saved off HDR4, then updated it from channel.db only. The new tuning took. I then saved again, and compared rsv.db and setup.db against the previously saved versions - they are different, but I don't know whether the differences are trivial. I can't immediately see any change in the settings.

Completed on another HDR, just channel.db. No apparent ill-effects, so I'll update the process. I checked all the settings and saw nothing untoward - padding/AR remained the same on two machines (one AR, the other padding), and my skip remained the same too.

Last edited:
I tried copying just the channel.db file (before BH's latest post) worked OK for me.

However the schedule was was corrupted - showed BBC1 on channel 701 and BBC 2 on 702 and was incomplete. It may have been auto-restored, as package installed. A manual restore from the manual backup I took beforehand sorted it out.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

It would not have auto-restored unless the schedule was found empty at boot (which it wasn't). As I mention in the first post, substituting the channel.db file will corrupt the schedule.

Back