Copying video files onto the Humax

aesmith

Hi,

What's the best way of loading video files onto the Humax?

I've seem references to using FTP but can't get that to work (I can ftp, open the connection, login, but no commands can be executed - not even ls which returns "502 command not implemented". Just for the hell of it I tried mget * which gives the same error followed by "Cannot find list of remote files".

With the custom firmware I can readily save to the PC from the web interface, but there doesn't seem to be an Upload function - or am I missing something?

Thanks, Tony S

Have you tried using an ftp client on your PC, FileZilla seems to work for a lot of us.
It also avoids need for commands since it is GUI and uses similar principles to explorer.

Have a read through my early blog, you might get some tips. Note that you must either have the Humax FTP sever enabled in Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting, or disabled if you have the custom firmware betaftp package installed.

Trail Guide (click)

Sorry should have added, tried a search on the forum for ftp, but that's too short to search on.
Google site search will return results for 'FTP'.
Google search 'Site:hummy.tv FTP' without the quotes.

If you add additional search words you may find previous posts that are more relevant for you than just using 'ftp'.

Have a read through my early blog, you might get some tips. Note that you must either have the Humax FTP sever enabled in Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting, or disabled if you have the custom firmware betaftp package installed.)
Thanks for the tips. I had enabled ftp in my original settings, but checked again just in case. Presumable if it wasn't enabled I wouldn't be able to open the connection in the first place?

I think I've found the issue though. I read your blog but I (rashly?) ignored the suggestion to use Filezilla as I'm quite comfortable with command line. However I normally use a Mac where these networking services are inherent, so this morning I fired up my work Mac and that works perfectly from the command line (although it appears mget isn't supported). So I guess my issues were with Windows ftp client implementation, rather than the Humax server function.

Will try Filezilla, I've found a portable version so it won't clutter up the PC.

Thanks again,

Tony S

The default Humax FTP server is very limited in what it supports and also tends to crash a lot. Your issue was probably with the lack of support for active mode FTP in the server.

I'd always recommend disabling the built-in one and replacing it with the custom firmware version if that's an option.

Thanks, I'll do that. I did actually load the custom firmware ftp server (BetaFTPD) but missed the fact that the inbuilt one needs to be switched off. I must admit I'm not sure whether Mac ftp client defaults to active or passive so that could have been the issue (Windows not switching to passive). Or it could have been Windows firewall now I think about it a bit more.

Quick one .. does the box need to be rebooted to switch from the built-in ftp server to the CF BetaFTPD? I have the package loaded but if I switch off FTP in the standard options screen it doesn't work - from the command line it connects but doesn't prompt for username, from Filezilla it gets an error Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

I've re-enabled the built-in server for the meantime, so it's not holding me up at the moment.

You need to turn the built-in one off first. Then go to the Services page on the Webif and enable BetaFTPD. If you just installed BetaFTPD without turning the other one off, then obviously it won't have been able to start, which is probably why you're getting connection refused errors.

OK, thanks everyone. BetaFTPD now working, with all the normal ftp command line functions apparently working. (By the way, apparently the inbuilt server wants you to use "dir" instead of "ls" for directory listing). Filezilla Portable also copied onto the home PC and working.

Thanks again, Tony S

By the way, apparently the inbuilt server wants you to use "dir" instead of "ls" for directory listing
The dir command sends an NLST command whereas ls sends LIST (usually - may differ per client). The built-in server presumably only supports one of those!

Back