Corrupt HDD

James Black

Hi, I have the custom firmware installed on a 1tb version that is several years old. recently I notice Twonky stopped working. On trying to reinstall it I get I/O error messages. So I ran fix-disk and after about half an hour it showed about 12 corrupt blocks with I/O errors and then bombs out without doing any repairs. I was hoping that it is just corrupt files so I have backed up all my programs and tried to do a format from the hidden menu. It goes away for a minute and comes back without doing anything.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks James

Hi, I have the custom firmware installed on a 1tb version that is several years old. recently I notice Twonky stopped working. On trying to reinstall it I get I/O error messages. So I ran fix-disk and after about half an hour it showed about 12 corrupt blocks with I/O errors and then bombs out without doing any repairs. I was hoping that it is just corrupt files so I have backed up all my programs and tried to do a format from the hidden menu. It goes away for a minute and comes back without doing anything.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks James
Not sure why that's happening James but you could try to reformat manually from a telnet session.
Enter maintenance node by entering 'fix-disk' in a telnet session. Once rebooted open a telnet session but do not re-enter 'fix-disk' again. Enter the following list of commands instead.

umount -l /dev/hda1
umount -l /dev/hda2
umount -l /dev/hda3
umount -l /dev/hda4
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda1
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda2
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda3
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda4
reboot

With a bit of luck that should resolve your problems.

Not sure why that's happening James but you could try to reformat manually from a telnet session.
Enter maintenance node by entering 'fix-disk' in a telnet session. Once rebooted open a telnet session but do not re-enter 'fix-disk' again. Enter the following list of commands instead.

umount -l /dev/hda1
umount -l /dev/hda2
umount -l /dev/hda3
umount -l /dev/hda4
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda1
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda2
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda3
mkfs.ext3 -b 4096 -O resize_inode,dir_index /dev/hda4
reboot

With a bit of luck that should resolve your problems.

Hi Raydon, Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried your suggestion but it refused to unmount hda1 <umount forced umount of /dev/hda1 failed!>
hda2,3 and 4 were ok though. Maybe this is part of the problem?
James

Hi Raydon, Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried your suggestion but it refused to unmount hda1 <umount forced umount of /dev/hda1 failed!>
hda2,3 and 4 were ok though. Maybe this is part of the problem?
James
Looks like hda1 wasn't mounted to start with. Did you try the four mkfs.ext3 commands after the umounts regardless ?

Looks like hda1 wasn't mounted to start with. Did you try the four mkfs.ext3 commands after the umounts regardless ?

Hi Raydon, Yes, that did the trick. All has gone well although I did have some issue with the box wanting to format every time I turned it on, that was fixed be going through a complete system setup operation. However the only problem left is that I cant seem to re-install the packages...
<Runtime Error: /opt/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class:88: Not a valid address: hummypkg.org.uk:80 in procedure 'pkg' called at file "pkg.jim", line 47 in procedure 'pkg' called at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class", line 79 at file "/opt/var/mongoose/lib/pkg.class", line 88>
Any suggestions?
Thanks, James

... the only problem left is that I cant seem to re-install the packages...

This should give you a clue
Not a valid address: hummypkg.org.uk:80
It looks like a network issue to me.
As an initial check can you confirm that BBC iPlayer works.
Then from telnet enter ping -c 5 hummypkg.org.uk
Result should look like this:
Code:
FoxsatHDR~# ping -c 5 hummypkg.org.uk
PING hummypkg.org.uk (89.248.55.76): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=0 ttl=245 time=69.138 ms
ping: recvfrom: Unknown error -89
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=1 ttl=245 time=37.983 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=2 ttl=245 time=37.049 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=3 ttl=245 time=38.029 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.76: seq=4 ttl=245 time=37.030 ms

--- hummypkg.org.uk ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 37.030/43.845/69.138 ms
FoxsatHDR~#

(Just ignore the "Unknown error -89" messages.)

If that doesn't work then try pinging the repository using its IP address instead, which doesn't require a DNS service to resolve it.

Enter ping -c 5 89.248.55.76

If that works then you have a DNS problem.

Hi Raydon, Wow, amazing how my brain turns to mush when I am panicking about getting the box to work for the kids in time for xmas. You were completely right, I had typoed the dns entry and now all is well again! All I have to do now is put the settop-patch on again and I am done.
Many, many thanks for you guidance. Happy Christmas, James

Back