Couple of problems (internet connection, failed recordings)

danco

I've had a couple of problems with my HD-R Fox lately.

1. Occasionally there's no internet connection. I can see that the IP address is wrong (it has the self-assigned 169.254... address). Easy enough to cure by rebooting my router, but that's a touch drastic as it shuts off internet connections on other devices while the reboot is happening, and my router takes quite a long time. Is there an easier method to get the connection up? Re-applying DHCP from the menu does not seem to work and neither does physically disconnected the Humax from my network and then reconnecting it.

2. I've only just started recording in HD (my old TV did not have HD possibility, and I got a new TV recently). Mostly this seems ok, but several programmes have just failed to record, giving a zero time For instance, Britain's Pompeii on BBC4 last night, but I think there have also been BBC2 programmes that did not record.

1. Occasionally there's no internet connection. I can see that the IP address is wrong (it has the self-assigned 169.254... address). Easy enough to cure by rebooting my router, but that's a touch drastic as it shuts off internet connections on other devices while the reboot is happening, and my router takes quite a long time. Is there an easier method to get the connection up?
What is the connection between Humax and router (wired, Homeplugs, WiFi etc)? Does power cycling the Humax rather than the router help?

The wifi issue is probably due to your router: sounds like a problem with the DHCP server. You could give the HDR-FOX a static IP address. You may be able to reserve an IP address on your router, then you can just switch from DHCP to Manual in the wireless settings of the HDR-FOX and edit the IP address if necessary. Otherwise you can edit the DHCP server settings on your router to change the range of addresses allocated automatically (e.g. from 192.168.0.2 - 254 to 192.168.0.10 - 254) and then give it a manual address outside the new DHCP range (e.g. 192.168.0.2 - 9).
What version of firmware are you on? If you are not on 1.03.12 you may have fallen foul of the zero length nts file bug. If so, it should be possible to fix the recordings using the sidecar package (custom firmware required for this).

I should have said that I am using Homeplug. Powering the Humax off doesn't seem to help. The Humax does have a reserved address set on the router.

I am on the custom firmware. I am on 1.03.12 according to system information.

I should have said that I am using Homeplug. Powering the Humax off doesn't seem to help.

OK I would be auspicious of the Homeplugs. When the problem occurs does powering cycling the Homeplugs allow the Humax to get anIP address?

I am suspicious of the Homeplugs too. I have experience of them becoming unreliable, and I'm now using dLANs rather than lower cost (and potentially less reliable) units.

However, you also need to be aware of the advice here (particularly para 7): Configuring IP Address (click).

2. I've only just started recording in HD (my old TV did not have HD possibility, and I got a new TV recently). Mostly this seems ok, but several programmes have just failed to record, giving a zero time For instance, Britain's Pompeii on BBC4 last night, but I think there have also been BBC2 programmes that did not record.
What message is presented when you try to play the recordings?

I am suspicious of the Homeplugs too. I have experience of them becoming unreliable, and I'm now using dLANs rather than lower cost (and potentially less reliable) units.

However, you also need to be aware of the advice here (particularly para 7): Configuring IP Address (click).

It's a bit difficult to test things, as the problem is rare. I had tried turning off the Homeplug (they are Devolo dLAN) and that did not work. It is possible that I did not have things turned off for long enough, and I might try waiting a while when it occurs again.

What message is presented when you try to play the recordings?

I get "recording failed: the programme appears not to have been broadcast".

I've just double checked and all the failed programmes are on BBC 4 HD (I had misremembered one of them as being on BBC 2 HD). I now think that the issue is that BBC 4 HD is on a different channel than I had expected, I did see some mention of it having moved for the Olympics (already, though they aren't for a while).

BBC FOUR is not BBC FOUR HD though is it? It is important to be precise, and yes it has moved mux. for the Olympics and will move again afterwards (and not back to where it was before).
You need to retune.

Definitely BBC 4 HD recordings were the issue. Sorry about being inaccurate in the first post.

Thanks for the remark that after the Olympics the change will not just be back to where it was. It looks as though there just won't be anything I want to watch on BBC4 until the Olympics are over, so I will remember to retune then.

It's a bit difficult to test things, as the problem is rare. I had tried turning off the Homeplug (they are Devolo dLAN) and that did not work. It is possible that I did not have things turned off for long enough, and I might try waiting a while when it occurs again.
Then are you using a manual IP address setting rather than DHCP, as per my notes? I think not.

Back