crash

IJ36

Hi.
My HDR Fox T2 has stopped working. It showed 'crash' and then is constantly rebooting without success. Any advice please?

Any clue as to what caused it? If you're seeing crash on the front panel then you're running custom firmware, but which version?
Try installing the Factory Reset Update File from http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Firmware_Downloads which will do a full factory reset and also clear out the settings for many of the custom packages, but should get you out of the reboot loop.

Thanks for your reply.
Left the box turned on and hours and hours later it suddenly rebooted correctly.
Don't know how it was suddenly OK nor why it crashed. It was just powered up as usual when that happened.
I am not sure which version of the CF is installed. If this happens again i will take your advice on the factory reset. Many thanks again.

Hi. Not surprised because obviously some problem, but, crashed again with constant reboots again. My CF version is 2.18. Is there a factory reset download for this version? Also, having trouble accessing what I have noted as my Humax IP address. Appreciate any help.

The factory reset download does only that - treat it as a firmware update and it flushes the user settings etc without actually updating any firmware.

Hi. Not surprised because obviously some problem, but, crashed again with constant reboots again. My CF version is 2.18. Is there a factory reset download for this version? Also, having trouble accessing what I have noted as my Humax IP address. Appreciate any help.
You don't give a lot away do you?
You've probably (possibly) got a duplicate IP address assignment somehow.
Install CF 2.23 and Telnet into the box and run fix-disk.
Instructions are on the Wiki.

Hi.
Went for the factory reset and box back up and running. Don't know at this point if this has cleared any of my settings. Should I upgrade anything now? Thanks again for the great advice.

Yes, it will have.

It would be as well to:
  • Install CF2.23 (not 3.00 - it's too new);
  • Set Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = Off, then in WebIF: Diagnostics >> DLNA Server >> Reset DLNA Database;
  • From the Telnet menu boot into Maintenance Mode and then run Fix Disk (as per post 7).

Installed the CF2.23 successfully. But could not access portal. Wanted to see then if I could access the box from PC and the internet. Had trouble with IP address in Chrome but opened it only in Mediatomb through PC>>Network where the Humax showed as just Mediatomb or Media. Can't get any further. Apart from Portal problem and non-access to the CF everything is working fine ( all channels, recording etc and streaming from PC etc).

Thanks again Black Hole for the reply.
Sorry if I am not making things clear. I meant to show that I am having trouble connecting to the internet. I am ,also, unable to use the Humax TV Portal, although this is a problem I have had anyway in the past> On my home network (streaming through Hummy from PC, can see the Hummy on my network etc) are ok.
The installation of the CF was reported as successful.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I am not sure how to identify if it is the PC's security that is causing the problem with my IP address on the internet. Could there be something wrong with the IP address the Hummy is now showing? Could it be that I will not fix all of the problems associated with the crash anyway as the machine becomes older.

It's very difficult trying to pick the bones out of what you are saying, you appear to be conflating several different issues.

Have your crash problems stopped? Did you do what I said in post 10? If not, why not?

If your HDR-FOX is having trouble accessing the Internet, how did you manage to install the full custom firmware web interface - or have you only performed the USB stage of installation (to obtain the Telnet maintenance options)?

And what is 'the IP address that your Hummy is showing'? It's difficult to know whether there is something wrong with it unless you tell us and also the IP address range of your router. See what the IP address is of your PC. It is likely to be 192.168.1.x or 192.168.0.x with a subset mask of 255.255.255.0

If your PC is 192.168.0.4 and your Hummy is not 192.168.0.x, then yes, there is something wrong with its IP address.

Thanks for ongoing advice. If I can just go through it again and sorry if it is I that is missing something.
Crash problems have stopped. But follow on advice "It would be as well to: Install CF2.23
  • Set Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = Off, then in WebIF: Diagnostics >> DLNA Server >> Reset DLNA Database; From the Telnet menu boot into Maintenance Mode and then run Fix Disk

• I was not able to do this. - On TV screen 100% CF installation and the CF 2.23 is showing on the front of the Humax when booting up. Beyond that I cannot find the WebIF. I thought it best to check if the Humax TV Portal was working as a check on my internet connection, and it wasn't/isn't . The Cf then, without, humax connecting to the internet, was not properly installed as I understand it. Will the USB installation alone give me the Telnet maintenance options, if so how do I get to that?
  • I did Configure LAN, several times, but, keeps connecting using DHCP to 169.254.207.126. I have manually entered my IP address 198.162.0.2 but with no success (No network connection messages) My home network is all in working order, when using the DHCP allocated IP, as I am able to stream from my upstairs PC through ethernet and access the content of the Humax recorded media up on the PC. I have, also tried and failed to access the Humax and the CF on the internet using the DHCP allocated IP address.

Will the USB installation alone give me the Telnet maintenance options?
Yes. You haven't read Quick Guide to Disk Recovery (click), have you! However, let's not bother with that for the moment, it may not prove to be necessary.

Your IP address looks very strange, although not entirely impossible. Please do and answer the following precisely:

1. By what means is your HDR-FOX connected to your router (ie your home network)?
A: Ethernet cable connected to the Humax's Ethernet socket;
B: Powerline adapters (HomePlug) connected to the Humax's Ethernet socket;
C: WiFi dongle in the Humax's USB socket;
D: WiFi-Ethernet bridge connected to the Humax's Ethernet socket;
E: Other - please describe.

2. Please confirm the DHCP setting and report the full configuration:
2.1 Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN >> Configure IP = DHCP; then Apply;
2.2 Having applied, report success or failure. If success, report stated IP Address, Netmask, Gateway Address, and DNS Address.

3. Please state IP Address, Netmask, Gateway Address, DNS Address for your PC. Presuming it is running Windows:
3.1 Open a command console window by typing "cmd" in the Start menu search box;
3.2 At the command prompt, type "ipconfig".

4. Please state the make and model of your router and your broadband service provider. The router is the device that is connected directly to your phone line (in the case of ADSL) or cable (eg Virgin) which then provides Ethernet and WiFi connectivity for your home network.

Hi again Black Hole.
1. Powerline adapters (HomePlug) connected to the Humax's Ethernet socket.
2. DHCP- IP: 169.254.207.126. Netmask: 255.255.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0 DNS 0.0.0.0. Network connection failed is reported, but, I can access my PC and storage hard drive. I cannot access these with manual IP input 198.162.0.2.
3. PC- IP: 198.162.0.2. Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.1 ( my wireless LAN). I do not see DNS here
Ethernet IP: 169.254.09.173 Netmask: 255.255.0.0 No gateway address DNS: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
I have multiple devices and so I hope this is correct as thee is a long list of information in the config.
4. My router is a Virgin Netgear broadband superhub.

1. Powerline adapters (HomePlug) connected to the Humax's Ethernet socket.
What's the other end connected to? Your PC or your router? It should be the latter.
2. DHCP- IP: 169.254.207.126. Netmask: 255.255.0.0 Gateway: 0.0.0.0 DNS 0.0.0.0. Network connection failed is reported, but, I can access my PC and storage hard drive. I cannot access these with manual IP input 198.162.0.2.
The numbers should be 192.168... not 198.162...
The connection is failed on the Humax presumably because it can't access the internet as you have no gateway or DNS.
3. PC- IP: 198.162.0.2. Netmask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.0.1 ( my wireless LAN). I do not see DNS here
Ethernet IP: 169.254.09.173 Netmask: 255.255.0.0 No gateway address DNS: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100
I have multiple devices and so I hope this is correct as thee is a long list of information in the config.
Multiple devices?
I suspect you have wireless and wired network interfaces on the PC and you have connected the Humax to the wired one. This is not what is required really.
It would have helped if you'd cut/pasted the output of "ipconfig" as asked for, rather just picking out what you think are the important details. Running "ipconfig /all" would be even better.

Now we're getting somewhere, but I think you have a typo in your "PC-IP: 198.162.0.2". Presuming you mean 192.168.0.2, your HDR-FOX IP address should be 192.168.0.x (anything not already in use, definitely not .2). It's all very weird, but it seems like the Humax may actually be getting its DHCP from the Virgin server! The gateway 0.0.0.0 is definitely a problem, and why you can't get out. I think this will probably turn out to be crap or broken HomePlugs, possibly compounded by the configuration of the Virgin router. See also Configuring IP Address (click).

Can you temporarily bypass the HomePlugs with an Ethernet cable? If so, repeat item 2. If this gives sensible results, change to manual and leave the settings as they are, then reconnect through the HomePlugs. This might be enough (in which case I withdraw my remark).

Otherwise, set the Humax to manual and configure IP 192.168.0.249 (best guess) and Netmask 255.255.255.0. This should at least get WebIF access from your PC web browser.

Back