crash

What's the other end connected to? Your PC or your router? It should be the latter.
Good point. The "master" HomePlug (they are all the same, but whichever one you designate...) is connected to an Ethernet port on the router, and any other HomePlugs on your mains circuit then communicate with the router through the master HomePlug. The router acts as the intermediary for all communications on your home network, any other arrangement is asking for trouble.

Running "ipconfig /all" would be even better.
Yes, do that - and copy/paste the whole output into a forum post.

it seems like the Humax may actually be getting its DHCP from the Virgin server!
No it's not. Do you not know about Automatic Private IP Address assignment?
I think this will probably turn out to be crap or broken HomePlugs, possibly compounded by the configuration of the Virgin router.
I think neither is likely.
Can you temporarily bypass the HomePlugs with an Ethernet cable? If so, repeat item 2. If this gives sensible results, change to manual and leave the settings as they are, then reconnect through the HomePlugs. This might be enough (in which case I withdraw my remark)
It won't make any difference, and even if it did it's a bodge and leaves a problem waiting to happen at some future point.
Othewise, set the Humax to manual and configure IP 192.168.0.249 (best guess) and Netmask 255.255.255.0. This should at least get WebIF access from your PC web browser.
It won't as that appears to be the wireless network's IP address.

It won't make any difference, and even if it did it's a bodge and leaves a problem waiting to happen at some future point.
Maybe, but it will at least provide information about the quality of the HomePlug link. Have you experienced a dicky HomePlug? Weird things happen. There is also the possibility that the HomePlugs have linked to next door!

The OP isn't going to be helped by competitive posting. Let's see what the next batch of info reveals.

Have you experienced a dicky HomePlug?
No, I refuse to have anything to do with them.
Weird things happen. There is also the possibility that the HomePlugs have linked to next door!
OMG. Well that's a damned good reason not to use them then. Surely there must be some sort of security enforced?

That could be good if you don't want to pay for broadband.

I have contemplated the possibility of sharing costs with next door - if you don't need a land line for anything else there is no point paying line rental. I'm sure it's outlawed in the fine print though!

There is also the possibility that the HomePlugs have linked to next door!
I thought the electricity supply to adjacent properties usually came from a different phase so that the link might be to a property three doors along. I became aware of this when we rented a property for a weekend and had a power failure and you could see that it was only one phase that was affected so every third house was in darkness.

I tried to offer a WiFi connection to an elderly couple across the road, but failed miserably to get a signal there, a signal that was strong in my house. Ah well!

Don't buy anything from those to**ers at Maplin, especially plastic rubbish like this. I sincerely doubt it has 8 dBi gain as well.

And if you wind your own helixes, don't forget to wind them both the same way. My mate made a helical antenna for the 23cm amateur band. He is left handed and guess what. He wound the helix left handed instead of right handed. It didn't work until he rewound it right handed.
prpr said:
I sincerely doubt it has 8 dBi gain as well
It might have compared to an isotropic radiator. It does seem to have a reflector after all. :)

I have reflectors behind all my radiators. :D

My helices are winded.:(

Sorry about the typing error. Been waiting for new equipment to arrive as it turned out to be a problem with the virgin router. I have a 192 IP address now showing on the Humax and can log in to the Humax on the internet. I will now follow the instructions and ultimately look to do the "fix disc"

Back