crashing and green screen

I then wanted to restore my 'backup' which was on my external HDD.
Why? I thought we had established they were copies of the recordings that were already on your 1TB drive, do you need a second copy of the same recordings on your new 2Tb drive that then require extensive fixing.

The copies on the 1TB drive have already been decrypted so require less work to fix - hopefully just running my exec

which is readable, but ever so slightly annoying! although it does seem to be that the title is ok:
What is annoying about that format - it is the normal format for recording files names on the humax
If you didn't have the time stamp you could have dozens of episodes of a series with nothing to distinguish them

Last edited:
Why? I thought we had established they were copies of the recordings that were already on your 1TB drive, do you need a second copy of the same recordings on your new 2Tb drive that then require extensive fixing.

The copies on the 1TB drive have already been decrypted so require less work to fix - hopefully just running my exec
Yes, you're right. It doesn't make sense now I come to think about it!...
my thinking was (before you posted your solution):
  1. I have a bunch of recordings on the external HDD - with names in tact - why don't I just copy those across
  2. Also, I'm not sure whether I have all the files on the 1tb (maybe some have been corrupted) and so I can combine both.

when the current 1tb stops copying - I'll try your solution and then just delete any duplicates - hopefully that will be the easiest way!

thanks again

hi all
I've followed MymsMan's solution - have created the file but can't seem to access the Humax through the command line to run it (not experienced in using command lines).

the files are in the Humax and under 'network' / Humax/ my video / my video - but I can't seem to access network through the command line - what am I doing wrong?!
and I've tried all sorts of combinations in terms of combining CD and 'network' and cd and Humax and IP address - but nothing is recognised so not sure how to access the directory

on a slightly separate point, I copied the entire contents of the 1tb drive to the Humax - but it appears to have only copied 69 files into this folder (I think that there are closer to 200) - has it automatically deleted other files that it thought were 'duplicates'?

thanks again!

The command line in question is a console running on the Humax's Linux - not your PC!

You need to run Telnet on your PC and connect to the Humax, or (easier) install webshell on the Humax and access it through WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line.

Now that we have stripts and hmt ported to windows it would be theoretically possible to create a version of the exec that did work on windows but that is not something that I intend to attempt
:p

From a command window, switch to the directory containing the video cd "/media/My Video/xxx"
and run
The command line in question is a console running on the Humax's Linux - not your PC!

You need to run Telnet on your PC and connect to the Humax, or (easier) install webshell on the Humax and access it through WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Command Line.
aha! thanks for that - i was scratching my head (I did look at telnet but didn't dig into all of the menus to find command line)

in the meantime, I've been trying to copy files across from my 1tb hdd to the new 2tb humax - and have tried

1. attaching to my laptop via SATA and then via FTP - but was very very slow - 0.1mb/s transfer rate (goes up to 20 and then slowly down)
  2. via SATA to the laptop and then connecting my laptop direct to the humax via ethernet - but laptop couldn't find it
  3. and now I've been trying to copy across via SATA and usb connected directly to Humax - however, it hasn't copied twice - first time it finished 'copying' but only copied 68 files out of about 169. I then tried again and left it overnight. This morning, having copied across maybe 10-15 recordings, it said 'input not recognised' (or something similar). I turned humax on and off and am running it again.
is there any other way I don't know about?

thanks again!

first time it finished 'copying' but only copied 68 files out of about 169. I then tried again and left it overnight. This morning, having copied across maybe 10-15 recordings
This is a common experience. Why not just leave them where they are and access via Media >> Storage >> USB? If you must transfer them, do it in batches.

This is a common experience. Why not just leave them where they are and access via Media >> Storage >> USB? If you must transfer them, do it in batches.
thanks Black Hole - i didn't really want to leave the old drive lying around as I have a rather destructive 4 yo daughter...

I'll try and do it in batches of 50 and see how i get on

Did it seem to go faster when you were making your 'Backup' copies?
I am not sure why it might make a difference but you could try swapping the disks around and copying the recordings off the humax rather than onto it - just make sure you copy the .hmts

My 3.5 year old grandaughter has never attempted to touch any of the boxes around the TV and I am sure you could keep a disk drive out of sight behind the Humax box and use the rear USB socket.

Just a thought. How are you doing the copies?
If you are using windows explorer that would move the data via your PC
You need to use the webif or Humax SUI to ensure direct disk transfer

Stage 1.8 - Transfer Speeds

I don't know how long the same copy would have taken to a USB memory stick, but copying 5.86GB to the portable drive took about 34 minutes. It only took 3 minutes to get it into the PC! For comparison, I copied 6 half-hour (+padding) radio recordings to a FAT32 USB stick (which means 18 files - no thumbnail on radio recordings), totalling 1.7GB in 9 minutes. The surprise is that it is roughly 200MB/min either to USB hard drive or to USB Flash drive. However, the USB stick then took 1:40 to copy into the PC.

Out of interest I copied the same set of files (undecrypted) by FTP, and on my 11g (I think) link to the PC (AV200 from the Humax) the transfer took 14 minutes. However, for this method to be viable first you need to decrypt the files in the Humax, and we are in the realms of hacked rather than non-hacked.
Note that ransferring encrypted recordings takes longer than decrypted recordings, because USB transfers by SUI decrypt in the process.

Did it seem to go faster when you were making your 'Backup' copies?
I am not sure why it might make a difference but you could try swapping the disks around and copying the recordings off the humax rather than onto it - just make sure you copy the .hmts

My 3.5 year old grandaughter has never attempted to touch any of the boxes around the TV and I am sure you could keep a disk drive out of sight behind the Humax box and use the rear USB socket.
thanks - I wasn't sure if it went any faster - but they have now all copied over - will be trying your bit of code this afternoon!

lucky you with a well behaved granddaughter!

Just a thought. How are you doing the copies?
If you are using windows explorer that would move the data via your PC
You need to use the webif or Humax SUI to ensure direct disk transfer
yes, thanks - I think that this was the problem first time around - it was when I used the webif that it all worked

hi everyone
an update from me - apologies for the silence - have been away.
So, thanks to MymsMan, I managed to get that piece of software working - and it did the job! thanks for that - looks great.

I now have a slightly odd file structure and a bunch of duplicates in different files.

My parent folder ('my video') has a bunch of recordings in there - and all seem to work
In that folder I have a sub-folder 'my video' which also have a bunch of recordings in there.
I wanted to cut and paste the contents of the sub-folder into the parent folder and then delete all duplicates.
[as an aside - the rationale for this is the following: the recordings in the sub-folder don't have the .hmt file - and so I will have to use Black Hole's advice to get them to work. I want to only do that on the recordings that I don't already have in the parent folder - and thought it would be easier to see them 'side by side'/'one after the other' to know which to delete and which to run the dummy .hmt file trick on webif]
I have tried to use 'cut' and 'paste' functions on the webif a couple of times and it says it is working, but the files don't move.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?
thanks again!

If the destination contains identically named files, they won't move.
So, if they don't move - you can delete them - duplicate detection made easy!
(In a few cases where the title contains special characters my exec may have substituted underscores where the Humax might not have done)

That doesn't mean the files are identical! Maybe it's the ones that didn't move that need to be kept.

Back