Crashing and rebooting

digitl

I'm not sure my problem is the same as that in the 'Suddenly started crashing on channel 85 (RT) 12th June 2014 - why now?' thread so...

We have three boxes, all of them running the 3.00 customised firmware, all connected to the network through identical homeplug adapters, two of the boxes booting into channel 107, the other into 101 and, despite the odd freeze from time-to-time, they've been fine. However, we're currently getting spontaneous reboot problems on all of them, usually, but not always, within 60 or so seconds of turning them on with the remote.

The boxes appear to boot up normally but soon the picture freezes with sound continuing, 'Crash' appears on the front panel followed by 'rebooting in [counting down] seconds'. This reboot is faster than the usual one from a cold start. The boxes are usually stable after that, though there have been some second crashes (like just now after three minutes!). Put them into standby with the remote and return a few minutes later and the crashes start all over again.

The only recent changes have been the installation of 'disable-dso' (which I've now removed without a resolution) and a new router on the network with addresses in the 1923168.178.??? range instead of 192.168.1.??? (all boxes have picked up their new addresses).

Can anyone offer an explanation and a fix? Would posting the content of the various log files from 'Diag'? If so, which?

I've just checked the router and all of the connected devices have different IP addresses if that's what you mean?

Double checking on the boxes, I can see the correct IP addresses but 'Configure LAN' has been left on 'DHCP' rather than 'Manual'. Might that be the problem? The router is set to supply static IP addresses with a different port forwarded for each of them so I can get at them across the 'net when I'm away.

Yes that's what I meant. So it isn't that then. You now need a real expert on the job :)

Thanks for the link.

Reading through reminded me that I'd recently added a 'Lenovo Iomega 70A29002EA 3TB EZ Media Desktop Backup Center' to the network. I had originally turned off media sharing on it but then, later, re-enabled it. I've now turned it off adain and it looks as though I've turned off the problem too. After doing so I started to set up a second Lenovo which, again, had media sharing turned on by default. Within seconds of connecting it to the network one of the HDR_FOXs rebooted! Media sharing is now turned off on both and will stay off unless I can find a fix.

As an aside, when checking the IP address of one of the Humaxes, finger trouble entered the gateway address as 192.168.178.136 instead of 192.168.178.1. There appears to be no way to easily delete the unwanted '36' using the remote. The only way I could find was to change from 'Manual' to 'DHCP', let the box find an address, and then go back to 'Manual' and enter the required address again.

Just to tidy this up, the re-boots stopped once the Lenovo boxes had media sharing turned off and they have not returned.

A pity I can't use the media sharing but stable PVRs are more important!

As an aside, when checking the IP address of one of the Humaxes, finger trouble entered the gateway address as 192.168.178.136 instead of 192.168.178.1. There appears to be no way to easily delete the unwanted '36' using the remote.
You need to enter three numbers in each block, so to get '1' you need to enter '001'.

Yes, after a fair amount of hunting around, I've discovered it's running 7.2.6-2. Thanks for the pointer.

Oh, and when I turned the media server back on to check on Twonky, the Humax crashed within 30 seconds!

Back