Creating media folders

Robti

Hi is there any pros or cons when creating extra folders for media, at the moment just thinking of movies and kids to start with in the video directory, and if I go ahead after reading any replies on here how do I populate these new folders ?

Thanks

No real downsides unless you make you folder system so complex that you cant find stuff

Use Sweeper to automate moving of stuff

For example to move Cbeebies and children's programmes to my grandaughters folder
Code:
folder or {lcn 202 genre Children } action {fileundercreate {./ Molly}

One gocha is that if you have the package that deletes empty folders (tidy-folders ) installed, you need to copy a recording into your new folder PDQ else the folder is deleted as designed. I fell foul of that one a couple of days ago.

One gocha is that if you have the package that deletes empty folders (tidy-folders ) installed, you need to copy a recording into your new folder PDQ else the folder is deleted as designed. I fell foul of that one a couple of days ago.
Isn't it to avoid that situation that sweeper has
'Move recording to folder... (creating if necessary)'
as well as
'Move recording to folder...'?

Yes, once you know about it. :(That's what I used eventually after getting the tip off from here.:D

That's exactly why I was less than enthusiastic about the tidy-folders package.

I never said I could think of a way of "fixing" it.

That's not a reason for tidy-folders not to exist, but users need to be very clear what it does. In a multi-user environment, it will seem like a fault if somebody (a user not responsible for CF) uses the SUI to create a folder (maybe to curate some recordings) and find the folder disappears each time.

Hi all, so I have read the wiki on sweeper and totally lost, is there somewhere else I can read up on how this works, or could someone post up a line that would move any movies to a folder called movies, so I could see where to start ?
Thanks

Code:
# Move any films
## lcn {>= 101} lcn {<= 71} or {duration {>= 90} genre Film } action {move Films}
# Move any Formula 1 recordings into the F1 folder
## title {Formula 1} action {move F1}
Ok I selected the examples rule set and edited it to suit myself as above but the screen from
Sweeper rules for / media /My Video shows it disabled
Code:
 Move any films  (Disabled)  Enable/Disable Rule  Delete Rule  Duplicate Rule  Move Rule Up  Move Rule Down[/B]
[B]Add condition
If:    Logical Channel Number    >= 101    
And:    Logical Channel Number    <= 71    
And:  
Add condition to sub-clause  If any of...
If:    Recording duration (in minutes)    >= 90    
Or:    Recording Genre    Film    

Then:    Move recording to folder...    Films  
And:    Stop processing rules.

Otherwise:    Continue to next rule.
  Move any Formula 1 recordings into the F1 folder  (Disabled)  Enable/Disable Rule  Delete Rule  Duplicate Rule  Move Rule Up  Move Rule Down
Add condition
If:    Recording Title contains    Formula 1    

Then:    Move recording to folder...    F1  
And:    Stop processing rules.

Otherwise:    Continue to next rule.
 Add rule  Save changes  Discard changes  View config  Test config  Run now  Text editor

So I can’t change the disable to enable

Sorry stupid iPad took me loads of clicks to disable the button, will leave it for now till I read some more till I read what Black Hole posted, many thanks

The slashed red circle icon upload_2017-12-23_11-17-42.png at the top right of each rule is the enable/disable button or using the text editor function remove the ## at the beginning of a rule to enable it

If: Logical Channel Number >= 101
And: Logical Channel Number <= 71
The "And" is a logical 'and'.
What you have got at the moment is saying that the rule apply to a particular recording if the LCN is both greater (or equal to) 101 and AT THE SAME TIME it also less than (or equal to) 71 .
E.g.
If: Logical Channel Number > 71
And: Logical Channel Number < 101

or tweaking your text version:
# Move any films
!lcn {> 71} !lcn {< 101} or {duration {>= 90} genre Film } action {copy Films}

It would appear the sample rules haven't kept up with various channel reorganisations since they use 70-79 as the children's channel range rather than 201-209
Code:
lcn {>= 70} lcn {<= 79}

Unless Robti has a good reason for attempting to exclude a channel range I would suggest removing the lcn checks for simplicity

Hi all I seem to have gotten mixed up here, I have my own group of channels that I set up and watch, 101,102 and all the rest of the hd channels then I have around a dozen extra channels up to channel 71, so I copied an example rule set for films and just changed the numbers to suit my channel group, sorry for causing all this confusion I just wanted any films on my channels to be moved to a folder I created called films

Back